Rabbit-Back Baitfish

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Rabbit-Back Baitfish

Post by Ian Horning » Sun May 22, 2016 11:04 pm

Heres some flies I tied up with Sea Runs and salt-bound Bulldogs in mind.

They incorporate more action than standard flies (clousers, epoxy minnows, etc.) due to the undulating rabbit fur bodies, have lots of flash, all while maintaining a decently small 2-inch profile underwater. They can be tied larger, of course, and I have a couple of them with holographic eyes attached as well. Uses simple materials and is easy and fun to tie.

They are weighted with heavy lead-free wire and sink, but not so rapid you hang up on rocks. During a quick retrieve they sink a foot or two, more if using a full intermediate or sink tip line.

Here they are:
IMG_1820.jpg
Chartreuse and Olive are well known colors... but orange should be on everyone's radar as well. Orange is a great attractor pattern like chartreuse and works especially well in the winter. South Sound/Hood Canal guys like orange at that time of year.

Bring em' in y'all.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Re: Rabbit-Back Baitfish

Post by Ian Horning » Mon May 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Oh, and here's the ones that I'll be throwing for Silvers if they ever decide to open it up. I'll be CnR if they open it up this year regardless if the regulations permit retention or not. I'm not going to bASStardize my words and retain a species that is in trouble.

Anyways, here they are under a UV light.
IMG_1825.jpg
Gotta keep our heads up (and out of our asses.)
Sorry just about every post I make is political. It's sort of hard to avoid these days with such a touchy subject.

Give it to 'em.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Rabbit-Back Baitfish

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 24, 2016 6:10 am

I like 'em, you got some dandies going there. No worries on the politico, it's much better to be informed and have a voice. It's what makes a democracy. Always speak up and always question authority.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!