Summer Chinook

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jeff.arkell
Angler

Summer Chinook

Post by jeff.arkell » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 am

Hey everyone,

I am looking to plan a trip next weekend (6/30-6/31) to head out to north Puget Sound in hopes of landing some summer Chinook. Does anyone have any insight on where to go and what time of day to go? I've heard reports of Tulalip Bay, Possession Point, and even Elliot Bay, but was just looking for any suggestions on a good place to go for some Chinook.

Thank you!

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Re: Summer Chinook

Post by rcthepirate » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:12 am

The only area open in north puget sound for chinook is a small section of area 8-2 known as "the bubble." It is a small, well defined area just outside of tulalip bay. So this is not only your best bet, but your only bet for north puget sound chinook right now. Unfortunately, this fishery is usually pretty dead. On a good day there might be one fish for every ten boats, and on a bad day no fish at all for 30+ boats. If I were you I would invest your fishing time elswhere that weekend and save your puget sound chinook trip until area 9 is open and possession bar is fishing good. However, if you did want to go fish the bubble, be out there and ready to fish when it's just getting light out. I would say before five. As of June 10 you can use a two-pole endorsement in this area. Check the regs for further details on this fishery.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Summer Chinook

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:34 pm

...Read your regs...