Flounder Setup

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Flounder Setup

Post by fisherhall » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:25 pm

What's your favorite rod and reel setup for flounder from shore or off shore. My favorite for both is a 6 foot 6 inch, medium action Uglystick with a Daiwa Regal spooled with 14# line.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Flounder Setup

Post by A9 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:47 pm

Probably my cheapest rod/reel. No need to get fancy with flounder. Just need something that can take a beating and I don't care if I drop it in the sand or water or get fish guts all over it. I usually use an old trout combo so it's usually spooled with 6lb test.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:31 pm

They sure are good tasting though...I only keep em if I'm fishing in open, clean water. I wouldn't advise keeping them when caught in dirty water around a bunch of boat or gast docks and the like...

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:31 pm

I think I've only found one so far with worms.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:38 pm

Yep if you watch out for the worms your usually not going to find too many infested flounders. They are scrap feeders too though, so sometimes you gotta watch out....

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:03 am

yeah i like to use some light tackle for them and what do u guys like to use for bait

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:54 am

Anything works for bait really. They'll hit anything. I just go out and dig clams and use the necks (they stay on the hook very well) or I buy a pack of frozen herring and cut it up into as many pieces as I can...

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:24 pm

where do u usually fish for them

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:37 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:They sure are good tasting though...I only keep em if I'm fishing in open, clean water. I wouldn't advise keeping them when caught in dirty water around a bunch of boat or gast docks and the like...

I have to echo what Sam says here. I have caught more than a few flounder with tumors growing off their underside. :cyclops: Yuck. But i supposed in clean water it's probably all as well.
I too like a light trout rod with anything for bait, herring, clams etc. They always seem like too much work to get any meat out of these things, so I have never bothered to keep one. But considering how abundant they are, if you know how to fillet, you could sure fine with a whole bucket. (check the regs--- when I say "Bucket" although I think they do not have a limit on them.) Look for sandy bottoms.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:43 pm

do u guys have any good spots for them

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:19 pm

I have done well with Herring chunks, Shrimp, and even night crawlers. I also have caught many flatfish, on flatfish trolled slow near the bottom...

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:51 pm

fishingmachine wrote:do u guys have any good spots for them
Anywhere that you have a sandy bottom. For me, I live right out from Golden Gardens, ballard (Seattle)
they can be found anywhere there. Also right off of Carkeek Park, 1 mile north of Golden Gardens.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:31 pm

i've always done well off the bank between owens beach and the boathouse at point defiance. i usually fish with pile worms. i get a few kelp cod now and then too there
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:28 pm

fishingmachine wrote:where do u usually fish for them
They are everywhere. No exaggeration. Sandy or rocky bottoms will hold flounder...Super easy to catch....

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:25 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:They are everywhere. No exaggeration. Sandy or rocky bottoms will hold flounder...Super easy to catch....
That is probably why I like to fish for them so much.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Yep. If you are also willing to fillet them they sure are pretty good deep fried. Serve em up and you will think you are eating some halibut...

They are also good pan fried and done on a bbq...

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:48 pm

I have to try them on the BBQ. We usually just pan fry them.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:41 pm

quadradomus wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:They sure are good tasting though...I only keep em if I'm fishing in open, clean water. I wouldn't advise keeping them when caught in dirty water around a bunch of boat or gast docks and the like...

I have to echo what Sam says here. I have caught more than a few flounder with tumors growing off their underside. :cyclops: Yuck. But i supposed in clean water it's probably all as well.
I too like a light trout rod with anything for bait, herring, clams etc. They always seem like too much work to get any meat out of these things, so I have never bothered to keep one. But considering how abundant they are, if you know how to fillet, you could sure fine with a whole bucket. (check the regs--- when I say "Bucket" although I think they do not have a limit on them.) Look for sandy bottoms.
Limit is 15 flounder, if you keep no other bottomfish. Total aggregate limit of bottomfish is 15.

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:12 pm

I live in Area 11 and the regs say the limit here is 2 bottomfish.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:29 pm

fisherhall wrote:I live in Area 11 and the regs say the limit here is 2 bottomfish.
It says limit is 2 "for all other fish". If you look above a few lines, it says "BOTTOMFISH - Limit 15"

The "all other fish" is intended to cover certain obscure species that do not fall under the specific "bottomfish" definition, like gobies, sticklebacks, sculpins that are not included in the definition of bottomfish, or other fish that people never really catch and are not included in the bottomfish definition. Flounder are included in the definition of "bottomfish". If you look under the area 11 rules, you'll also see that "Bottomfish" have their own subsection/format etc. in the special rules listing, while the "All other fish" section is separated from the "Bottomfish" section above it.

The same confusion arises with Kelp Greenling. People think the limit is 2, but the limit is 15 if you keep no other bottomfish.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.