End of an Era

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
NWBoater45
Petty Officer

End of an Era

Post by NWBoater45 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:40 am

I just read the Port of Edmonds new letter and it mentions that Bud's Bait will be going out of business as of January 16th. Not so much going out of business as Bud is Retiring. Sad to see him go and also want to thank him for his 50+ years supporting us fishermen out of Edmonds. Hopefully someone will set up and buy him out if that is an option.

Thanks again Bud and enjoy your retirement!!!!

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Re: End of an Era

Post by 18ftTrophy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:14 pm

That is sad. Even sadder is I didn't know he was still there selling bait. That only leaves the bait box on Possession point selling bait on the north sound. And two in Tacoma.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Bud's Bait... man, that takes me back to circa: 1980 ish.
The days of live herring.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:37 am

There's a little bit more to it that retiring based on the conversation I had recently. Lease was coming up and rent went up a lot. Fishing opportunities the past couple years has limited the amount of sales and nobody in his family wanted to take over the family business because of how slow business had been the past couple years. Nor did they want to commit to a long term lease agreement. It sucks.

Same thing happened with Nama's Candy store in Edmonds. Owner wanted to work but not much longer. Lease coming to an end and the owner of the building wanted a longer commitment than the owner wanted to do.

I remember as a kid going to the older location (Dock A) and getting live herring until they started doing that shock treatment thing they did... and then heading to the pier. Watching crabs trying to escape the pens and the gulls that would try and hijack them (fun times).

Guy I spoke with said "Dad was grumpy then too"

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:01 am

:cheers:
The Quadfather wrote:Bud's Bait... man, that takes me back to circa: 1980 ish.

The days of live herring? Those days are now my friend..... we still frequently jig and fish fresh herring in the sound!

They don't work for lings though, everyone keep using sand dabs..... [-X =;

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:31 am

I didn't know Buds was still there either. But then I haven't used the sling launch since the launch fee went up to 25 bucks or whatever it is now. Particularly since I became old and I can launch at Everett for free. I used to buy bait there a lot in the 80's and 90's.
18ftTrophy wrote:That is sad. Even sadder is I didn't know he was still there selling bait. That only leaves the bait box on Possession point selling bait on the north sound. And two in Tacoma.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 am

Matt wrote::cheers:
The Quadfather wrote:Bud's Bait... man, that takes me back to circa: 1980 ish.

The days of live herring? Those days are now my friend..... we still frequently jig and fish fresh herring in the sound!

They don't work for lings though, everyone keep using sand dabs..... [-X =;
I guess I was reffering to the days of being able to buy live herring from a retailer.
Depending on how far you have to travel, there aren't a lot of retailers for bait. (I mean not counting frozen baits from places like Sporting Good stores.
As a kid growing up in Edmonds, Bud's Bait was this anomaly, a guy actually at the docks, who actually had fresh and quality baits. We weren't going to ride bikes to Tacoma, etc.