Salmon Tackle Box

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Salmon Tackle Box

Post by bottombarrel » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 am

Ok, this may be a futile question but just like the other post I made about Lingcod, what is everyone's favorite rig or setup for fishing the salt for salmon? I am aware this could get a little out of control because there are so many different styles and variations and species. if you had to pick one set-up what is your favorite and why? Remember I am new to this so other than running a white and chartreuse dodger with a 4" Hoochie on the down rigger I dont have much other experience.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Re: Salmon Tackle Box

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:19 am

I don't fish salt a whole lot, but I always use a cut herring behind a flasher on a down rigger or sometimes a deep-6 diver. That's my 2cents.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:33 am

bottombarrel wrote:Ok, this may be a futile question but just like the other post I made about Lingcod, what is everyone's favorite rig or setup for fishing the salt for salmon? I am aware this could get a little out of control because there are so many different styles and variations and species. if you had to pick one set-up what is your favorite and why? Remember I am new to this so other than running a white and chartreuse dodger with a 4" Hoochie on the down rigger I dont have much other experience.
You nailed it. If trolling nothing beats a flasher with some type of lure behind it. I will say that I prefer ace hi flys over regular hootchies and I use a strip of herring as bait. Cut up the herring the night before and add rock salt over them to toughen them up. You can jig for them with point Wilson darts but I prefer trolling in the salt. You can also mooch for them which consists of a banana weight with a plug cut herring to a 36in plus leader while drifting with the current. Drop the herring to the bottom slowly and reel in slowly drop it back down slowly and reel in slowly. Repeat until it is fish on
Attachments
69f523d15a85c6bb8f97c13f2993ff45.jpg

cxlumpy
Petty Officer

Post by cxlumpy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:13 pm

bottombarrel wrote:Ok, this may be a futile question but just like the other post I made about Lingcod, what is everyone's favorite rig or setup for fishing the salt for salmon? I am aware this could get a little out of control because there are so many different styles and variations and species. if you had to pick one set-up what is your favorite and why? Remember I am new to this so other than running a white and chartreuse dodger with a 4" Hoochie on the down rigger I dont have much other experience.
protroll with agitator fin in the uv crackle (only 2 options). White lightning or cookies and cream coho killer spoon. ive only been fishing the salt on a boat for the past year and that set up has been the one that produces the most. ive tried tomic 602 plugs, brads cut plug, real bait, and seem to only get a consistent hits on what i listed.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:53 am

I used this :
IMG_3304.JPG

To catch this
Westport king 8-9-16 resized.jpg
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Flasher/squid or flasher/spoon, prefer Kingfisher spoons although Coho Killers are good also. I put an Ace High Fly inside of the squid. The Fly by itself is good too but I just prefer the color variety you get with squids. I used to use two twinkle skirts inside the squid but the twinkle skirts are not durable, after 1 or 2 fish the twinkle skirts are gone. The twinkle skirts on the Ace High Fly are very durable and better twinkle than normal skirts. The twinkle is important. If you don't think so put a squid behind a flasher w/o a skirt and then another reigged with an Ace High skirt, you will see a big difference.

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Awesome! Thanks for all the tips guys, I bought some flashers and some more hoochies. I also picked up some coho killers and some plugs. I am going to hopefully get to test them out this coming weekend. I have an 18' Riverhawk and I hear from some guys that its too small of a boat for the sound. I used it all year sea duck hunting though and never had any problems. Anyone have any input on this? I hear that deception pass is pretty gnarly for a boat like this but I see guys in 14' skiffs out there all the time.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:45 pm

I don't think it is to small for the sound. Is it jet or prop? I have been out to Westport in a 18' north river
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Not too small if it is a deep V hull. I have a '18 2005 North River Seahawk that I bought new. Before that a '19 Bayliner and before that an 18' Glas Ply. I used the Seahawk and the Bayliner at Ucluelet and Tillamook Bay many times up to 10-12 miles offshore and they worked fine there and in the Sound and Strait. You do have to watch the weather forecast and monitor the coast guard weather channel on the VHF. In my experience the times that bigger boats could go out and I couldn't, I wouldn't want to be out there anyway since I'm not real crazy about "nautical" oceans.

A flat bottom sled is a whole nother issue though.

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:42 pm

It is a deep V hull River Hawk bought last year with a 60-40 Jet. its a little under powered if you ask me. I have been put in some sketchy stuff while seaduck hunting so I figured if I can go out in that I should be good for moderate weather while fishing.

Noodle Caboodle
Petty Officer

Post by Noodle Caboodle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm

60/40 on a 18'? That seems way under powered. How long does it take you to get on plane?

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:17 am

Noodle Caboodle wrote:60/40 on a 18'? That seems way under powered. How long does it take you to get on plane?
With a loaded down boat, I almost cant get on plane. Empty boat with me, a buddy, and the dog and it snaps to plane right away. I am actually in the process of finding a new motor.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm

I have a Yam 90 prop on my '18 Seahawk. When I bought it in 2005 I wanted the 115 but the 90 was on sale, the 115 wasn't on sale, plus the normal price dif between a 90/115, plus more sales tax, plus a $300 refitting fee and the price dif was like 2500 as I remember it. I had a daughter in college and I didn't want to spend the extra $.

I've been happy with the 90. Enuff power really. Cruises comfortably at 25-26 which is fast enuff for me. Gets on the step pretty fast. There has been once or twice when I wished for more power. Once running back to PA from Freshwater, a really nasty west wind came up 30+ and running on the back of some really big rollers near the Hook, more power would have been nice.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:15 pm

BARCHASER wrote:I have a Yam 90 prop on my '18 Seahawk. When I bought it in 2005 I wanted the 115 but the 90 was on sale, the 115 wasn't on sale, plus the normal price dif between a 90/115, plus more sales tax, plus a $300 refitting fee and the price dif was like 2500 as I remember it. I had a daughter in college and I didn't want to spend the extra $.

I've been happy with the 90. Enuff power really. Cruises comfortably at 25-26 which is fast enuff for me. Gets on the step pretty fast. There has been once or twice when I wished for more power. Once running back to PA from Freshwater, a really nasty west wind came up 30+ and running on the back of some really big rollers near the Hook, more power would have been nice.

Just curious, but 25-26 top speed? Seems like a 1300lb 18ft boat with a 90 should hit mid 30's for top speed, and still have enough prop to plane quickly.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Lawfin
Angler

Post by Lawfin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 pm

An 18 ft boat is plenty big for the Sound, assuming you pay attention to the weather. I fish a 16 ft Alumaweld Talon (it is a deep V) with a 70 prop + kicker in the Sound and Sekiu without issue. However, I am a fair weather fisherman, and I monitor the weather VERY closely. Here is what I have learned over the years. Waves and chop are different - you need to pay attention to both. A 3 ft chop makes things a bit miserable - 4-5 foot chop becomes dangerous. And, fishing in a big chop, if not dangerous, is not much fun. 3-4 foot waves with long periods and little chop are very manageable. Throw that chop on top of those waves and it just isn't fun and gets dangerous. Also, waves with short periods are tough. You have to know when to take a pass on fishing altogether, or if fishing, pack it up and get off of the water. Twice I have taken a day off of work to go fishing. The weather report looked good. But, when I got to the water, the wind was blowing and there were white caps. Off to work I went.

The Talon is not very high-sided which makes things sketchy if the wind blows and the chop is big or the wave periods are too short. A low sided boat makes falling in the water more of a possibility. Your boat may have higher sides which may make things more manageable. Regardless, you have to always pay attention for wakes and waves, and always wear a life jacket - even on a calm day.

The Columbia upstream of B10 a ways (by the bridge) is fine in the Talon. But, I get on the water early, and get off the water early - before the wind picks up . . . and it ALWAYS picks up.

BTW I have crossed the Westport bar many times on many boats. I would NEVER consider crossing the bar at Westport in an 18 foot boat. Even if you make it out fine, the conditions can change in an instant while you are out, and you might put yourself and those who might be charged with rescuing you in danger. It isn't worth it. I was in a 26 foot boat when this happened, and crossing the bar on the way in was hair raising. Surfing a wave on an 18 ft boat is a recipe for disaster. However . . . look at the regs for 2017. There are often a couple of weeks when you can fish inside of the bar, and the fishing can be good. Enjoy!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 am

No, it weighs a lot more than 1300. Dry stats when it was new was 1350 for the boat and 375 for the mtr, 1725 total. A friend of mine has an 18' alum boat made in the Midwest, I don't remember the name of it (CRS), but it is lighter than mine, also has a 90 and is so it is quite a bit faster.

I looked up the stats for a new Seahawk, now 18' 6" so a little longer, and it has an offshore mount instead of transom like mine, It weights 1920 with mtr. Given our water conditions I would rather heavier and a little slower.

4200 rpm gives 25 or so which is 75% of WOT. Sometimes I up it a bit and cruise at 4500, 80%, mtr seems happier at 80%..

https://www.northriverboats.com/recreat ... eahawk-ob/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Heck of a nice looking transom and hull design!

I have a feeling that my 16ft riveted Lund is extremely light weight. 2 men and fishing gear cruise @30, and 35 tops, with the 60hp evinrude 2 stroke... Cant remember rpm... but top speed was right at the limit for rpm.

Offshore type transom designs alot better handling in rough chop and swell?
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:54 am

Long as we are talking about boats I was up north this week and stopped at Cabelas coming home. The north end of the store is chock full of boats and they are showing a bunch of Duckworth boats on sale. Had prob a dozen 18' Duckworths with 90 Yamis for 30K, sign sez marked down from 35K. Those are BIG 18 footers and that price seems fairly low. Maybe the lack of seasons last year and other issues have resulted in markdowns.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Bass Pro Shops is buying out Cabelas, That's why!!!!!!!!!!!

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:25 pm

I love tossing jigs off the beaches for salmon but dont be afraid to float herring or throw spoons.. far as trolling flasher ans spoon or hoochies.. And a 18ft is more than adequate for the sound and straight. when i stayed on my friends sailboat we towed a 10ft skiff behind.. i many times went out and dropped crabbing gear and would jig for lings or salmon.. Crazy but just goes to prove that it is doable.. just watch the weather and please please please wear your pfd.. and have all other required safety gear