Jetty fishing ocean shores

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Jetty fishing ocean shores

Post by SalmonAddict » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am

Sup guys n gals,

Got fam in town and they wanna venture to the coast to dip their feet in sand.

So we gonna be out at ocean shores for the next 5 days. I have fished for surf perch before but this time im in for the jetty. So the north jetty would be ideal or maybe the westport jetty if its better.

Im curious as to if there is a bait shop in the city of ocean shores? i know that westport does.

And hows the fishing for bottomfish off these jetties?

Any tips or recommendations would be nice as well.

Thanks yall

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Jetty fishing ocean shores

Post by branweeds » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 am

I will be fishing off Kalaloch beach for some surf perch next week. I have never done it before, but it sounds like a simple carolima rig does a good job. And if you can pick up some Berkeley sand worms in the little tub you won't have to worry about live bait as much. Good luck!

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:15 pm

branweeds wrote:I will be fishing off Kalaloch beach for some surf perch next week. I have never done it before, but it sounds like a simple carolima rig does a good job. And if you can pick up some Berkeley sand worms in the little tub you won't have to worry about live bait as much. Good luck!
X2 on the Berkeley sand worms.
Trying to see how rockfish is mainly.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Have to agree with that one too, I rarely get a chance to fish for rockfish since most marina areas on our coast protect them. Last time I did find some from shore at a good spot north of where you are going, and the jighead and double tailed grub outfished every other bait I tried. I have my rockfish Cajun taco recipe all set so I hope to connect with a couple decent ones for dinner.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:30 am

My wife and I have fished both sides of the Jetty at Brown's Point (Ocean shores) and have done well, under the right conditions. On the bar side, looking across to Westport, we found a mild incoming tide from low to high is the best. Using a dropper rig (weight on bottom and a hook about 2 feet above worked best. We used sand shrimp which we dig at low tide. Using some elastic thread to wrap the shrimp to hold them. Tie one end of a 4 inch length of elastic thread to the eye of the hook. That way you can use it over and over. Just thread the shrimp on a size 2/0 bait holder and wrap. The thread sticks to itself. Cast as far out as you can. When you get a hit, set the hook and reel as fast as you can to keep it above the rocks. Some very nice (big) kelp greenling and Rainbow perch! We've tried jig and twister tail but have never caught sea bass. Strange. On the ocean side, plenty of surf perch. Store bought shrimp also works, but is slower fishing. Hope this helps.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)