The "Blob" is dead!

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

The "Blob" is dead!

Post by BARCHASER » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:34 pm

According to Cliff Mass the "blob" is dead. The Blob was blamed for poor ocean conditions in 2015 and 16, particularly impacting Coho and to a lesser extent for Chinooks. If it turns out to be true and the death of the blob does result in large salmon runs, how is the WDFW going to explain the coming "massive" cutbacks in treaty waters sport salmon fishing? It will expose the WDFW for what it is, just a lame government outfit that takes orders from the Tribes

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2016/11/a ... t-end.html

spokey9
Captain

Re: The "Blob" is dead!

Post by spokey9 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:17 pm

i doubt we'd see much of boast in salmon runs from the blob being dead in the next season or two. it's gonna take a couple good spawning classes to bump those run numbers significantly. it is good news for the future that the blob is dead though
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Re: The "Blob" is dead!

Post by BARCHASER » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Maybe I'm being optimistic. I never did see the actual 2017 Coho run estimate. If I remember right, the actual Coho run in 2016 was only 250,000, but the 2017 run forecast was 600,000, I think? Anyway there was improvement from 16 to 17. The northern end of MA 10 was very good for me. I moored my boat at Edmonds dry storage, went out 15 times and did well.