Lingcod from shore

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
alhazayin
Petty Officer

Lingcod from shore

Post by alhazayin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm looking to do some lingcod fishing from shore in May, possibly from Edmonds pier. What is the best spinning setup, and best lures to use? I have some swimbaits and jigs from 1/2 to 4 oz. Also, any good spots besides Edmonds? Thanks!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Lingcod from shore

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Hmm? My reply didn’t go through...

OK, the short version....
If you are Shore-bound and looking for Lings, I’d pass on Puget Sound in general. Many undersized Lings.
You have the most incredible Jetty that can be imagined. Go spend the day at the Westport Jetty. Imagine a pile of boulders 75’ wide, 30’ above the water....and it extends straight into the ocean for what looks like at least 3/4 of a mile. Many LARGE lings are taken by dudes on foot, while other dudes are in $40K boats right out from the rock you are standing on.

Best to check your life insurance is paid up though before going. :-" :-"

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 am

Definitely Westport if you are looking for lings. It is a beautiful place but don't be fooled. It can be brutal out on the rocks.

Don't be afraid to wear a pfd if you haven't jetty fished before and if it all possible, go with a friend! Stay mobile and try to take only what you think you will need out on the rocks and check local weather before getting there.

Parking can sometimes be a pain depending on the time, the jetty seems to be a popular surf spot.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:03 am

Not sure if this will work or not.