Surfcasting seattle area

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dubbs99
Angler

Surfcasting seattle area

Post by Dubbs99 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:54 am

Hey,

Recent transplant to the northwest (seattle area) from the northeast. I'm looking for more information regarding surf fishing in puget sound. Back east we have a thriving surf fishing scene and I am curious how successful I would be surf fishing here. Ive seen people over the summer fishing off of piers sporadically but that's it. I'm not really looking for a specific species, I just want to hang out on the beach and get a line wet. Any information anyone could point me towards would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Surfcasting seattle area

Post by BentRod » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:46 am

Sorry, but in the Seattle Area it's not great. Mainly Starry flounder, dogfish (sand shark), and bullheads (sculpin). On occasion you can get a better species, like Cabezon or Lingcod. However, there are some strict regulation that goes along with the more sought after fish. You cannot legally target or keep any type of rockfish (seabass) anymore in Puget Sound and Lingcod have a season, size limit, and bag limit. There are places you can target piling perch and many public beaches are good for salmon at various times of the year, but that season won't get good again until next August. There are also sea run Cutthroat trout off the beaches of Puget Sound, but you cannot retain those either, so only catch and release.
If you go out to the coast, you can find some good surf fishing along the beaches and jetties. There is some good info on this site regarding that and many people here to offer advice if you go that route.

Dubbs99
Angler

Post by Dubbs99 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks!

I'm fine fiahing catch and release, I'm just looking for opportunities close to home for quick jaunts out.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 am

If you are talking about within the city limits, then as BentRod said... it is a really poor beach fishery. Again... just super limited in the species you will see. Yes, when salmon are running through, you would think there is salmon fishing to be had via the beach. However, our salmon fishery is going through some strangulation of changes, and it is VERY chopped up, with limited open times.

You just have to be willing to take a road trip.
Even up in the Skagit basin would be just generally more species. Outside of Seattle there are kelp beds, and of course that means fish. Your best bet for this kind of fishing is a road trip to the Westport Jetty.
Search YouTube