Winter/spring puget sound beach fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
alhazayin
Petty Officer

Winter/spring puget sound beach fishing

Post by alhazayin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:51 am

Hi, I have been in Seattle for a few years, but since I didn't grow up here, I don't know many of the fishing opportunities, especially in the winter or spring. I was wondering if and how salmon can be caught by casting from the shore in Puget Sound during the winter and spring. I had also heard about sea-run cutthroat fishing from the beach. What type of lures would you cast for them, and when and where can they be caught?

Thanks!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Winter/spring puget sound beach fishing

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:19 am

There is another similar thread on here, very recently, that speaks to the species you usually find on Puget Sound beaches.
More importantly is to start with looking at when salmon season is open in the area you want to fish. Puget Sound is made up of multiple Marine Areas, all with slightly different regs.
For Cutthroat, silver Kastmasters are a good choice.

Again though, read the regs well. All Puget Sound is ‘ barbless fishing’. No treble hooks on your Kastmasters, etc. and Cutthroat stay in the water, no retention, or holding fish on shore, etc.