Unweighted spoons

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
alhazayin
Petty Officer

Unweighted spoons

Post by alhazayin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:18 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but anyone ever tried casting unweighted trolling spoons like the coho killer off the beach with some weight added for salmon.? Sort of like casting a dick nite but with a bigger spoon?

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Unweighted spoons

Post by BentRod » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:54 am

Theoretically, you'd think it would work, but in reality it's not a feasible approach. The large light spoon would need to be on a significantly long leader to get it away from the weight and that whole rig would not only be a tangling mess, but create significant wind resistance that would not allow you to cast very far. I've played with a lot of setups from the beaches in PS and for most of our gravel/sand type beaches, weighted spoons, spinners, jigs, and rotators are best for retrieval type lures.
Of course there are scenarios where you might be able to employ a non-weighted spoon successfully, say from a rock jetty or possibly a pier, but I still think it would take some trial and error and still only be as effective as the other offerings already used.
FWIW.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Many years ago, I tried casting an unweighted spoon off a pier. Didn't get any salmon, but couldn't keep the bullheads (staghorn sculpin) off. Must have caught dozens that day (all released).

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 am

i used to toss dick nites off les davis pier as a kid. i'd use a 1/2 or 1 oz banana weight with the dick nite tied on about 6 to 8 ft leader. i'd do pretty good when the silvers where targeting smaller baitfish. I've never used a coho killer or full size spoon though, biggest i used was a #1 dick nite in 50/50, chrome, and red & white.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

alhazayin
Petty Officer

Post by alhazayin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks for the info