Lost Tennessean

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
WalkerTNRanger
Angler

Lost Tennessean

Post by WalkerTNRanger » Fri May 25, 2018 3:09 pm

A very broad question and free to laugh me out of the forum: I am a long-time bass fisherman from Tennessee and have been given the opportunity to make a week long trip to Puget Sound on an old college friend’s yacht. Though fishing is not the express purpose of the trip, I can’t see being on water that long without casting a few times. The trip being in late August, I have some time to research, but I am unfamiliar with saltwater/sound fishing in general. Any suggestions concerning species to target and fishing techniques that would be possible from a non-fishing-equipped island hopping yacht would be greatly appreciated.

-WalkerTNRanger

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Re: Lost Tennessean

Post by BARCHASER » Mon May 28, 2018 11:08 am

First, you will need to closely review the regulations since they are complicated.

Most of the fishing in the salt is with downriggers, which is a device that lowers/lifts a 10-15 pound lead ball down to anywhere from 40 feet to as much as 150 feet. The line is attached to the ball with a release clip. Sounds like you won't have one of those.

You are in luck though since late August is the time for the Coho salmon run. Coho live high up the water column sometimes only 20 feet under the surface. They can be caught with just 4- 8 oz of lead, and 3-4 feet of leader to a cut plug herring and trolled behind the boat at speeds of around 2-3 mph. You'll need to go to a tackle shop, get a salmon rod/reel, 30 pound test line etc. Ask the tackle shop for info; you'll need frozen herring (6 inches), pre tied hooks (called mooching rigs) and a jig to make cut plug herring. Ask the tackle shop, they'll show you what to get.

Thats about the cheapest way to do it. Its all trolling there isn't any casting.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:47 pm

As BARCHASER says that COHO will be running while you are going to be here. Check out the WDFW fishing regs. online so you are ahead of the game. You will need a license to fish in PS. Before I got my first downrigger I would fish for COHO using only 2 & 3oz banana weights with a 6' leader with a plug cut green label herring. Do some research online about salmon fishing and you can learn how to cut, plug cut herring as well as using things like divers, flashers, hooch's with a herring strip. Johns sporting goods has a good web site where you can learn more. Good luck.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Mon May 28, 2018 3:04 pm

I assume you will be in the San Juan islands area, you could pick up a some bottom fish or crab. A crab ring or snare should do with out investing a ton of money. Check the regs.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Mon May 28, 2018 4:09 pm

BARCHASER wrote:First, you will need to closely review the regulations since they are complicated.

Most of the fishing in the salt is with downriggers, which is a device that lowers/lifts a 10-15 pound lead ball down to anywhere from 40 feet to as much as 150 feet. The line is attached to the ball with a release clip. Sounds like you won't have one of those.

You are in luck though since late August is the time for the Coho salmon run. Coho live high up the water column sometimes only 20 feet under the surface. They can be caught with just 4- 8 oz of lead, and 3-4 feet of leader to a cut plug herring and trolled behind the boat at speeds of around 2-3 mph. You'll need to go to a tackle shop, get a salmon rod/reel, 30 pound test line etc. Ask the tackle shop for info; you'll need frozen herring (6 inches), pre tied hooks (called mooching rigs) and a jig to make cut plug herring. Ask the tackle shop, they'll show you what to get.

Thats about the cheapest way to do it. Its all trolling there isn't any casting.
Well, Barchaser is pretty much spot on up until his last sentence - with which I beg to differ.

There is plenty of casting opportunity July through November with a great chance of success - either from shore or from a boat for salmon, and sea run cutthroat which are non retainable.

Popular lures include but are not limited to - Buzz Bomb, Dart Lure, Kastmaster, Blue Fox Vibrax Spinner -

I grew up (born and raised) just a few miles from the salt in Tacoma, and have nailed countless fish over the years casting. Odd numbered years present a bonus fishery with pink salmon - a two year fish - that was poor last year and a bumper crop the cycle before. Pinks won't be a consideration in '18.

Using the search function, dig through this site and others using key words important to you - there should be a ton of useful info.

The best of luck

onmygame

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:44 am

Figure the height of the vessel as well as that may mess things up some. You did not say what the freeboard (water to deck/gunnel) is or how close you can get to the water. Most of the fish you will catch will not be pulled up out of the water using the line so you will need to net them.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Wed May 30, 2018 1:08 pm

If you do troll, you'll need a rod holder, if the boat isn't equipped with them. Gets pretty old if you have to hold the rod all the time you troll.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed May 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Im not an extremely experienced saltwater fisherman myself, but I would imagine the original poster would like to be able to cast around the area he's moored. Are there any bottom fish legal to target in sound? All of the rockfish species must be released, and descended with a proper device. Not sure about how to target surf perch, but thats a pretty popular fishery in some area. Flatfish? Any others?
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed May 30, 2018 5:41 pm

No need to troll at all for salmon( although trolling is my preferred method of fishing for salmon in the sound) mooching can and is very effective. Banana weight to a leader about 4 ft tied with 2 hooks. No need to cut plug the herring just use the hooks to make a bend in the herring so it imparts some action as you will be lifting and dropping the weight to make the fish look wounded. You will also catch other fish using this method and some might need to be released so make sure to read up on the rules. Either way this is by far the most simple yet effective way of fishing for salmon without downriggers or trolling.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed May 30, 2018 9:00 pm

WalkerTNRanget,

When you can, expound upon what sort of boat you will be on, as well as what specific area you are talking about. Puget Sound is a vast place, different opportunities in different places. As well as when you say ‘Island hopping yaht’— that could mean a lot of things.... some vessels will be seriously high above waterline, and seriously awkward to do anything but bottom fish. Other vessels may not be realistic to run at a trolling speed. But, as said, you can cast as well, mooch, etc.
If you are in fact in the San Juan Islands, much better bottom fishing opportunities than Central Puget Sound. For much of the General Central Sound, bottom fishing equates to 10” flounder (flatfish). 8” Sculpin (bullheads). And of course dogfish (3’ sharks)