Downrigger Weight Snubber Vs bumper

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
retired11
Petty Officer

Downrigger Weight Snubber Vs bumper

Post by retired11 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Who uses a snubber on their downrigger weight? Pro's VS Con's?

How do you setup your downrigger weight? Do you use a bumper?

Last time I used downriggers my release was a little yellow fin with about 5 notches in it where you pushed a button in one of the notches. I'm trying to catch up with the latest and greatest setups...

Thanks for your help.....

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Downrigger Weight Snubber Vs bumper

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:21 am

I like to keep it simple. I have used a snubber before, but do not feel that it changes anything. I catch fish either way, so by not using one I less gear to contend with.
As far clips, you mentioned something about a clip with 5 separate notches..? I find the Scotty clips work the best for me. Even when trolling for trout, I use the large salmon clip. The black Scotty’s with the yellow on the clip end.
Do be aware that there is two separate positions of tension though. Use the stuff tension position, and then make the variable, place deep or shallow within the clip where you place your line.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:52 am

I have probably four different types of downrigger releases but have settled on either a rubber band or Chamberlain off of the downrigger. I have read the Chamberlain and salt water do not mix though.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:54 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:I have probably four different types of downrigger releases but have settled on either a rubber band or Chamberlain off of the downrigger. I have read the Chamberlain and salt water do not mix though.
I, too, use Chamberlain releases but am fresh water only. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:55 am

I, too, use Chamberlain releases but am salt water only. [thumbup]

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:00 pm

18ftTrophy wrote:I, too, use Chamberlain releases but am salt water only. [thumbup]
No issues with them? The only thing I heard was the first ones produced would bulge (parts corroding) then break. They may have changed how they build them. I will probably be doing some blue water salt fishing in the future so it would be good to know. Thanks!

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:52 pm

My son-in-law and I both ure them with cleaning after each trip, no issues.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Cool. Thanks.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:09 pm

TrackerPor16 there is two Chamberlain releases for sale in the classifieds. $20 for two is a great price, but find out which ones they are. the best one is the one that clips between the ball snubber and the cable.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:55 pm

I already have a few of the ones that attach firmly to the cable. I clip them about 2-3' above the weight and twist the line (braid) ten times and hook it into the release if I am using my 9' 'light' pole. With heavier poles I put a rubber band between the line and the release. I seem to get better hook sets that way with the stiffer poles.
I purchased the two from the classifieds but have not picked them up yet. Turns out I saw them the week before at his yard sale! Funny!

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 am

Scotty sells a snubber to install between the downrigger and ball. Its supposed to keep you from shock loading the downrigger line when lowering/stopping and snapping off the ball. Its also supposed to isolate the electrical field around the ball (if you buy into that kinda thing) I have never used one, but I could see it saving a novice from loosing a ball when learning to downrigger fish.

The bumpers are more important for electric downriggers. If they fail to stop (when retrieving) automatically, the bumper usually keeps you from snapping off a ball when it hits the downrigger pulley. I could see that the snubber might have much the same effect. I like to keep my downrigger gear as small as possible to minimize drag in the water, but I do use a bumper.... a large bead just barely big enough to not pass the pulley and a small piece of rubber tubing between the ball snap and bead to absorb some shock load if the bead hits the pulley

I use the scotty mini releases, and the larger one that quadfather was talking about. Simple and effective, but many dont like them. They just pinch the mainline like a clothes pin. I also use the diy "1 dollar kokanee releases" that the owner of this site (Mike Carey) did a youtube video about a few years ago. Theyre actually made from a plastic clothes pin, and honestly work just as well as many other releases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FNmPPmFM-8
link to the video
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 pm

I use the snubbers with a long-line clamp to attach the ball. While I don't nesseccarily subscribe to the shock protection side of it, I do find the snubbers very "handy". I have problems with my hands and the thicker diameter of the snubbers makes it possible for me to handle my----downrigger weights.