Puget Sound salmon season

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
retired11
Petty Officer

Re: Puget Sound salmon season

Post by retired11 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:16 pm

That didn't take long - Area 9 closes to Chinook July 23.

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=2173

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:30 am

Well, that's why I put my boat in dry storage at Edmonds. I can still fish MA 10 without running for miles. I used to fish 10 a lot 10-12 years ago when the Edmonds sling launch was cheap. But when the sling launch went to 25 bucks I quit fishing 10. Used to be pretty good for Chinooks just north of Kingston, on the edge of that bar that goes out to the NE of Kingston. I posted this in Reports.

Two rods in my boat on Wed at Pilot Pt. We got our two nooks and done by 8AM, smooth water. But Thurs different deal. We fished Pilot again for 4-5 hours and nada, saw one fish taken. Went over to Possession, too rough on the westside, went to the SW corner, still rough, trolled for another 2 hours and also nada. Bagged it at noon. But the on line fishchecker report for yesterday showed a 30% success, so somebody is getting fish.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:53 pm

When I got to the west bar on Thursday morning(4:40a) it was flat and a ton of bait fish. I had two hits before 5am but didn't stick. I did catch one fat 22" king that I sent back to grow up, and looking for something bigger. The wing started coming up about 7 and I quit at 9, for my run to Camano. I did see some fish being caught, but not like Tuesday.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:24 pm

We fished Thursday around pilot point. Started fishing around 5:30 to about 9:30 and started trolling towards Kingston. Finally gave up because of the wind and called a day. We had one nice day down that came unbutton, 4 shakers and a flounder'. We were using breakaway's on our flashers and couldn't tell when the shakers were on.
We will do better next Monday with our gear, going to fish around Jeff Head.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Yah, I'll be out on Monday also. Kind of tempted by Kingston, 3 Tree Pt. but we'll prob do Jeff Head.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:15 pm

July 24, 2018

Hatchery chinook retention to reopen in Marine Area 9

Action: Marine Area 9 (Admiralty Inlet) will reopen for four days to the retention of hatchery chinook salmon.

Effective date: 12 a.m. Thursday, July 26, through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, July 29.

Species affected: Hatchery chinook salmon.

Reason for action: The fishery was closed to hatchery chinook retention July 23 through July 25 to allow fishery managers to evaluate the catch and determine available quota.

Through Sunday, July 22, anglers had caught 79 percent of the available hatchery chinook quota. Sufficient quota is available to reopen Marine Area 9 to the retention of hatchery chinook salmon for a limited duration.

After the fishery closes at the end of Sunday, July 29, fishery managers will again evaluate catch. Should there be sufficient quota available, WDFW will announce when the fishery will reopen to hatchery chinook retention.

Additional information: The initial closure of hatchery chinook salmon retention in Marine Area 9 will remain in effect through 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, July 25. During this time, anglers must release both hatchery and wild chinook, chum, and wild coho, but may retain two salmon as part of the daily limit.

From July 26 through July 29, anglers fishing Marine Area 9 may keep one hatchery chinook as part of the daily limit of two salmon but must release chum, wild chinook, and wild coho.

Waters of Marine Area 9 south of a line from Foulweather Bluff to Olele point will remain closed to salmon fishing through August 15.

The Edmonds Fishing Pier is not subject to the closure for hatchery chinook retention. Regulations for the pier are as listed in the Washington Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet.

For specific regulations, anglers should consult the 2018-19 Washington Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet available online at https: //wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Anglers can check WDFW's website at https: //wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html for the latest information on marine areas that are managed to a quota or guideline.

Information contact: David Stormer, Puget Sound recreational salmon fishery manager, (360) 902-0058; or Mark Baltzell, Puget Sound salmon manager, (360) 902-2807.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:25 pm

I'll be on Possession bar on Thursday morning!

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 am

Ray, I called your cell, you want to go in my boat?

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:12 am

By myself I picked up one about 12 pounds, near the SE corner at 6:45. I saw 18ftTrophy and he had one also about 9 or so. 100 ft of water, 75 on the DR, blue haze squid with an Ace Fly under it and a herring strip. When I'm by myself I usually put the net inside the boat for easy access. This time it didn't work so well since the mesh got caught on a fitting. Playing the fish with my right hand and struggling to get it untangled. Only reason I got the fish was it had both hooks in him.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:33 am

Im usually a river guy but want to target the coho this September from my boat, easier to get my daughter involved in a boat rather than banking it with 20 of my closest strangers. Ive seen some great tips on what gear use, what depths, what speeds and general areas for area 10. Do you guys target a time in the tides? Ive always heard the 1 hr before 1hr after slack, does that ring true here as well? Also, as far as launching is there a preferred launch? I assume the crowds can be tough when it gets good out there. Looking for any useful tips for a newbie. Thanks guys.
HH

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:54 am

For MA10 the best launch would be the one at Golden gardens in Ballard and that one can get very busy. Other wise Everett launch you just have a longer run on the water. With Coho tide doesn't make that much of a difference. And they are in the top 90' and you can be in 500 FOW.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Coho are easier to fish for than Chinooks. They are pretty much everywhere, unlike Chinooks that congregate in certain places, and thus the fishing can get crowded and competitive. Tides mean a lot for Chinooks but not very much for Coho.

It kind of all depends on how much boat you have, because it can get rough quick. If you launch at Everett, Area 8-2 and 9, the fishing is between Mulkiteo and a place called the Shipwreck which is 3-4 miles south of Mulk. That stretch of water produces lots and lots of Coho but from Everett it is a 5 to 9 mile run.

In Area 10, at Golden Gardens you can start fishing right in front of the ramp. Same at Edmonds but the sling launch is 25 bucks! For ease of launching Everett is the best, but it is further away from the fishing. Do not mess with the Mulkiteo launch. It has no breakwater and is very exposed to wind.

One problem with Seattle is there is not a lot of launch ramps.

If you lanuch

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Pubic service announcement: With a bunk trailer Edmonds is $50 with parking, though there's often some good fishing right out front of the marina.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 pm

I didn't realize Edmonds was up to 50 bucks. I have my Seahawk in the dry stack at Edmonds. They give me a free launch on the sling when I first put the boat in. But when I take it out for good or for service, they charge me . They charge me 25 bucks for the sling, not for parking, since I already have a parking pass in the stack area. They just don't want to bother with sling boats I think. Last year in Sept/Oct we got 51 Coho in my boat, mostly right out in front of the marina since 8&9 were closed. So yeah there is some good stuff right out in front. I didn't know until this week when my fishing buddy told me, that Edmonds marina has an online cam that overlooks the sound and the entrance.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 am

Thanks for the tips on the launches and how far they are from the fishing grounds, great info.
I have the boat to handle rough water so the Everett launch sounds like the one to use. Ill give the shipwreck, shilshole and near by areas a go.
Do the successful guys move around alot or stick out a proven area until the bite kicks on? That may be a loaded question seeing that it may be a day to day thing.
General rules ive got in my notes so far: troll fast (3-3.5 maybe a touch more), cycle gear (OGs, spoons, hoochie with herring strip, herring), fish top 90 feet of water (shallower early, move deeper as sun gets up), sounds like adding some bright color to your flashers have helped some days.
What type flashers you guys like? In my brief trolling history ive only used pro trolls and short bus. Ive always liked the added action of the pro trolls.
Thanks again guys
HH

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Everybody has their fav flasher. Its kind of a personal thing. I've been using Hot Spot flashers since the 80's, so now its a habit I guess, but I catch fish. I got a real nice 13-14 Chinook today at the oil docks but it had too many fins. My fav is called the Silver Fever.

http://www.hotspotlures.com/products_flashers.php

Just launch at Everett and start fishing at Mulkiteo and troll south towards the Shipwreck with the fleet. You'll see guys everywhere. The Shipwreck is just that, there is an old wrecked boat on the east shore that you can clearly see. Some guys fish closer to shore, some out further. I do both depending on whats going on and where I see nets.. Just keep trolling at a fast speed .

The good thing about launching at Everett, the fishing grounds are to the south. So when the usual south wind comes up which it does a lot, you are running with the wind going back to the launch. The bad thing is there is often fog around Everett. I've had lots of days when my charting GPS was my best pal. The entrance to the Snohomish River which is where the launch is at, is not very wide.

Good luck.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Area Quotas as of 7-24-18
Attachments
Quotas 7-24-18.jpg

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Cool! Obviously, 9 is toast. 10 should have quite a ways to go. I fished around the Oil Docks today with my son in law and grandson, lost one 9-10 at the boat, but that was it. In the same place I released a wild fish yesterday. Slow today, I never saw a net. Talked to 4-5 guys in different boats at the Marina that all fished 10. The only boat that got fish, 2 fish, got his mooching Pt. No Pt.

Since I'm in the dry rack at Edmonds, 10 works for me.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:05 am

Couple more questions:
For those of you that use braid as your mainline, do you tie directly to the flasher with braid or have a topshot of 10-15 feet of mono before flasher?
Do any of you guys ever just fish 4-6oz banana sinker with a OG, Spoon, superbait etc? I have one DR and will usually be fishing 2 rods. So either gonna go diver or just weight on the second rod. Ive never stacked on a DR so may try that too

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:20 am

I have two downriggers. If I have three rods, I'll put out a plug cut or a Brads cut plug on a light 2 oz banana, but very shallow and mostly for Silvers.

If you put out a free rod, do not put it down where it might foul on your downrigger line or cable. That will create a huge mess if the two lines get fouled.