Best Replacement Hooks for Salmon Spoons

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
retired11
Petty Officer

Best Replacement Hooks for Salmon Spoons

Post by retired11 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm

What is the best size/make replacement hooks for 3.5 salmon spoons? Do you have any mods you make to the spoons prior to fishing them.

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Best Replacement Hooks for Salmon Spoons

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:27 pm

I have had good results with Matzuo Siwash hooks. Add a barrel swivel between the hook and the spoon via a split ring and you're good to go. I'd run at least a 2/0 size and you can purchase them with or without barbs, depending upon your needs. You can even add a mini/micro hoochie while you are at it and then you'll have the popular tailwagger style spoon. Just cut the tip of he hoochie enough to squeeze through one end of the barrel swivel. Do this after you have cinched the eye of the hook onto the swivel. I also heat the hook eye with a lighter for several seconds before closing it with pliers, the hardened hooks can crack if you don't. If you want to avoid the hassle just purchase the tailwagger kit by itself.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Excellent topic/question...
For me it’s a total reminder that it’s time to get out in the garage and tighten up the WMD.
Sometimes I will pull out a crankbait or leadered mini-hootchie, and be good disgusted at the rusty hook that is on it. I know a lot of people kind of upgrade both the hook, and sometimes adding different connectors or mini-bling, etc.

If anyone else has any little upgrades you do stuff like this, please chime in.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:53 am

I've had good luck with Kingfisher spoons in Cop Car and Irish Crème. When I started using the Kingfishers, I did lose some fish. So some years back I started replacing the hooks with a Mustad 2/0 open eye Siwash they call Ultra Point. Losing fish hasn't been an issue since I went to the Mustads. I haven't seen the need for a swivel, but I've thought about it.