Twinkle Shirts with Squids

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
retired11
Petty Officer

Twinkle Shirts with Squids

Post by retired11 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:04 am

How many of you folks use twinkle skirts with your squids? I'm getting ready to tie up my gear for the upcoming season and was wondering how many folks used the twinkle skirts? Do you have a favorite skirt you use? All information would be very helpful. 40 years ago when I fished a lot we never used skirts and caught out fair share of fish but that was 40 years ago. Thanks for the help.

1. Never
2. Sometimes
3. Always

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Re: Twinkle Shirts with Squids

Post by 18ftTrophy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:12 am

I always use double glow shirts or ace high flys with squids with a cut of hearing. :salut: :salut:

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 am

I used to use double twinkle skirts. Double cause it only takes one fish to tear off the material on a twinkle skirt, so two is better.

But I changed over to using an Ace Hi fly under the squid, sometimes I add a twinkle skirt too. The twinkle material on an Ace Hi stays in place and doesn't get torn off like twinkle skirt material. Plus the Ace Hi comes in several different colors, with more flash than a twinkle skirt. . Try them you'll like them.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Ace hi is the way to go in my opinion

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:39 pm

sometimes... can't say as it has made a difference for me.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Do you guys have favorite Squid and Ace Hi fly combo you would be willing to share. Sounds like that is the way to go....

Thanks

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:14 pm

My 3 favorite colors are all white, purple, and chartreuse but those are just MY favorite but have seen good luck on orange, black and white and blue

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 am

They have so many different Ace Hi Fly types that I just buy whatever looks good at the time.

https://www.silverhorde.com/ace-hi-fly-.html

For squids I don't have the number but the Silver Horde dark green glo spatterback has been my go to for years. Other wise, I just change squids at the beginning of the season and keep using whatever seems to be working. Last year the ultra violet #0225R was hot for me. On a real bright day, I think it is good to go dark for contrast like the Army Truck.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:08 am

Are you guys using the Ace Hi fly needle fish as inserts for the squids?

I have been reading in a couple different place where folks are using very short leaders with the Fly's for Chinook.
20" to 25" - no longer than 25". Any comments?

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:35 pm

As an insert but for me not the Needlefish, just the standard Ace Hi Fly. I do put some beads above the top hook in order to get the hooks a little further back.

I know everyone these days is into short squid leaders behind flashers. Each to his own but I like longer leaders; 36" for Coho and 42 even 46" for Nooks. I don't have any good reasons, I've just always done it that way. With shorter leaders, the squid rotates faster in a smaller diameter cone and that is better cause there is more exciting action or so goes the theory. With a longer leader the squid rotates slower but with a larger cone. Which is better? I don't know. But visibility is the issue and it seems like a rotating cone that is larger may be more visible???

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:38 pm

BARCHASER wrote:As an insert but for me not the Needlefish, just the standard Ace Hi Fly. I do put some beads above the top hook in order to get the hooks a little further back.

I know everyone these days is into short squid leaders behind flashers. Each to his own but I like longer leaders; 36" for Coho and 42 even 46" for Nooks. I don't have any good reasons, I've just always done it that way. With shorter leaders, the squid rotates faster in a smaller diameter cone and that is better cause there is more exciting action or so goes the theory. With a longer leader the squid rotates slower but with a larger cone. Which is better? I don't know. But visibility is the issue and it seems like a rotating cone that is larger may be more visible???
Fishing with Adrian O'Connor at Reel Obsession , he uses very long leaders from the flasher to the bait or spoon, I would guess 48-60". Sure did work just fine...

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:41 pm

My boat caught a bunch of Chinook last year on the Columbia river using 30" leaders. My go to setup last year was shortbus KRAKEN flasher with a 3" Mountain Dew SB filled with tuna with a 30" leader. Caught a few coho with the same setup.

With the changes to the regs this year on the Columbia I have decided to fish closer to home (area 9 & 10) and that is why I have been asking lots of questions.

I'm in the process of learning as much as I can and starting to put my gear together. I keep turning over stones and finding new things to add to my tackle box.

Does anyone use herring behind flashers any more?

Thanks for all the input....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:07 am

not whole herring, but I always add a herring strip to my hoochies. Mainly targeting coho, I do get the random king with that set up.