San Juan sockeye

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
riverhunter
Commander

San Juan sockeye

Post by riverhunter » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:03 pm

So I'll be heading over to the san juans on the 15 to fish for chinook. The regs state 2 additional sockeye can be retained so my question is has anyone targeted and what were the results. What was used to specifically target them.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: San Juan sockeye

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:06 am

ah, the mythical saltwater caught sockeye. Someone must have figured it out but they are likely keeping tight-lipped about it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Think Baker Lake but unfortunately the best area is closed in support of orca socializing.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 am

I thought it was voluntarily only and only extends 1/4 mile from shore? Only exception in kiln point which is 1/2 mile

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:06 pm

rseas wrote:Think Baker Lake but unfortunately the best area is closed in support of orca socializing.
You can probably find more info on BC fishing forums because in years when the Fraser River sockeye are open, they troll for them in the ocean near the river mouth. In some years, the majority of the Fraser sockeye run will migrate around the outside of Vancouver Island and up through the straight of Juan De Fuca, giving US fishers (sport, tribal and commercial) a decent shot at the run. In other years, the majority of sockeye will mostly come down the inside passage and avoid the US entirely. Rseas is right as to technique, the common method is trolling bare red hooks or a hoochie on a very short leader (8 to 12 inches) behind a flasher. I haven't heard of people using bait in the salt water for sockeye.