Ozette area shore fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
alhazayin
Petty Officer

Ozette area shore fishing

Post by alhazayin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm headed to Ozette this weekend. I will be camping at cape Alava and at the mouth of the ozette river. Anyone know what fishing is like there? What should I use? Also, is that a reservation or national park land?
thanks!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Ozette area shore fishing

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Ozette falls under the Olympic National Park regs. You can find the specifics on the park website.

I did a boat-in camping trip awhile back, all the way down to ‘baby island ‘, bottom end of the lake.

Can’t remeber the regs specifically, but it is fairly controlled, and I’m almost positive it is selective gear regs. Almost certain the Ozette river is full time closed, but of course it will be in the regs as well.

If you wind up on a boat, be very careful of running your prop into the lake bottom, even in the middle of the lake! That lake has the craziest bottom contour I’ve wver seen.
One minute I’m at full speed, in 100’ Of water.. next minute it is 8” deep, and I’ve slammed my prop in the middle of the lake.
We honestly did not do so well, if I recall. I have a report in the report section.
Please post a report on your experience.
Good luck.