General Shore fishing (not salmon) on Whidbey Island

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tsimbo50
Angler

General Shore fishing (not salmon) on Whidbey Island

Post by tsimbo50 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:10 am

New to fishing again after many-a-year hiatus. I am looking for opportunities to shore fish for pretty much anything on Whidbey, just enjoy getting my line wet! Locations I know of are Bush Point, Possession Beach, and Driftwood Beach. Any hints/tips for what I can fish for and what techniques to use? Thanks!

- Tom

spokey9
Captain

Re: General Shore fishing (not salmon) on Whidbey Island

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:13 pm

All those beaches can be good for silvers. A 2 1/2" or a 3W buzz bomb with a hoochie is probly the standard for beach fishing silvers. Herring strips or cutplugged under a bobber can be really good too. Early morning incoming tides are the best, but any incoming tide has potential. Look for current rips, seams, or signs of baitfish...silvers shouldn't be far off.

A drop shot rig with a piece nightcrawler about 12 inches above the weight will get you into some flounder if they're around. Gravelly bottoms are a bit better then sand.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.