Downrigger release for spectra lines?

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Downrigger release for spectra lines?

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Here is my reply to them.
Hi Keith,

Perhaps you should consider putting a note in your documentation that the release needs to be rinsed after use in salt water. From your reply, it sounds like that is necessary in order to avoid corrosion. I didn’t see anything in the documentation about that requirement.

I currently have perhaps as many as 12 different releases made by several different mfg’s in my saltwater box. I have never rinsed any of them after saltwater use - ever. Some of them have to be going on 20 years old now and none show any signs of corrosion. Some of them are old enough that the plastic and rubber parts are deteriorating badly and I really should toss them. But there is no corrosion on any of them. In fact I cant think of any fishing gear I have on my boat - that is rated for salt water - that requires rinsing after use. Granted there is the occasional cheap lure or other junk that isnt made from quality stainless steel. Those I throw out when they rust because they are cheep enough to be disposable.

Your release isnt that cheep.

Just to be clear, I would love to keep using your releases if they didn’t corrode. They work very very well. However, I am unwilling to rinse them every time I use them. Also keep in mind that I would not be nearly as upset if I had been warned that they needed to be rinsed. Then I would only have myself to blame for being lazy rather than feeling like I was misled about its suitability for salt use.

Thanks for getting back to me and good luck with your business.

Larry