New guides for old fly rod

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
hunternclark
Angler

New guides for old fly rod

Post by hunternclark » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 am

I was recently given my grandfather's old fly rod. It's an old South Bend Outdoorsman 7 foot 2 piece rod rated for 6 weight line, but it has no guides left on it except for the tip. I'd like to put new ones on it and get it serviceable again but don't know what sizes to get for it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

G-Man
Admiral

Re: New guides for old fly rod

Post by G-Man » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:30 am

There are a few places that can assist you with the refurbishment of your flyrod. What you'll probably want is a double footed stripping guide or two followed by a series of snake guides. If the tip is serviceable, no need to mess with it. Have a look at this site: http://www.jsflyfishing.com/fly-rod-guide-sets They will also provide you recommendations if you give them the specifics of the rod.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 pm

I have replaced guides on rods, as well as stripped all of them off to update to current styles. Something to consider along with G-mans comment, is replacing with all ceramic guides in double or single foot. The reason for this, is the rod could be used for fly casting or with a spinning rod.

Could stay with tradition and use the snake guides, or upgrade to ceramic guides. Single foot guides would be lighter than double. With the ceramic guides, the rod could be used with a level wind reel. But that takes some fairly complicated modifications, requiring adding a handle behind the reel seat. I made a cork handle that is removable, for fly, spin, or level wind.

Tried to add a picture, but the file is to big for this website. A wealth of information can be asked and found here:

http://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MotoBoat on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 am

Not sure what area you live in but if its near Lake Stevens I would recommend stopping in at Greg's custom rod in Lake Stevens. He fixes rods and holds classes to build rods your self. He sells all the parts and can order them in for you. He will also show you what to do and need if you wanted to fix it up at home your self. They also have a good deal on fishing tackle its not a huge selection and they can order most anything in for you. Good luck

hunternclark
Angler

Post by hunternclark » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks everybody for the good suggestions, those sets will make it a lot easier to do it right!