Need advice re: Egg Loops

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
sfgregorini
Petty Officer

Need advice re: Egg Loops

Post by sfgregorini » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:24 am

Im new to tying egg loop knots. Ive tried to watch videos online but every video shows that the line attached to the hook is always a leader. Im not sure how long I want to make my leaders until I get out on the water. What is the best way to just tie off the egg loop once I have secured the yarn or yarn ball? I essentially want to be able to just have hooks with the yarn attached and attach it to my leader when I get on the stream. Any how to videos or specific directions would be great. Thanks
Steelhead Novice.

spokey9
Captain

Re: Need advice re: Egg Loops

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:26 am

I usually pre-tie my egg loops at about 3 ft or so, but I only use an egg loop for when I'm gonna be fishing bait (eggs, shrimp, or sand shrimp). That's only because I don't don't like how an egg loop holds yarn but that's just my preference. For drift fishing I use a traditional snell knot because it holds the yarn tighter and I like the profile the knot forces the yarn into. The only time the traditional snell has ever failed on me is either I get sloppy tying it or lazy changing out after a fish or hang up.

Here's a link to the snell I use
http://www.netknots.com/application/fil ... tional.jpg
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Egg loop knots are always incorporated as part of the leader. It's typical to make your leader on the longer side and then cut it down to your desired length on the water. I usually make mine 3'-4' long and adjust accordingly.

From your description, it sounds like you'd rather have yarnie type flies that you can just tie on to your leader like fly fishing. Octopus hooks typically used for egg loops and snell knots don't work well for that application. If you go that route go get some hooks designed for tying flies.

sfgregorini
Petty Officer

Post by sfgregorini » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:02 am

BentRod wrote:Egg loop knots are always incorporated as part of the leader. It's typical to make your leader on the longer side and then cut it down to your desired length on the water. I usually make mine 3'-4' long and adjust accordingly.

From your description, it sounds like you'd rather have yarnie type flies that you can just tie on to your leader like fly fishing. Octopus hooks typically used for egg loops and snell knots don't work well for that application. If you go that route go get some hooks designed for tying flies.
This is exactly what Im looking for.... thank you. I had some guy show me at Cabelas how to use a tool to finish off the knot where you wrap the line around and slide over the eye and pull tight. Im going to try that today.

sfgregorini
Petty Officer

Post by sfgregorini » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:04 am

spokey9 wrote:I usually pre-tie my egg loops at about 3 ft or so, but I only use an egg loop for when I'm gonna be fishing bait (eggs, shrimp, or sand shrimp). That's only because I don't don't like how an egg loop holds yarn but that's just my preference. For drift fishing I use a traditional snell knot because it holds the yarn tighter and I like the profile the knot forces the yarn into. The only time the traditional snell has ever failed on me is either I get sloppy tying it or lazy changing out after a fish or hang up.

Here's a link to the snell I use
http://www.netknots.com/application/fil ... tional.jpg
Can you secure yarn with a snell knot? I looked at your pic and Im not sure I understand where the yarn would go.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:48 am

sfgregorini wrote: Can you secure yarn with a snell knot? I looked at your pic and Im not sure I understand where the yarn would go.
A snell knot and an egg loop will have a similar place to attach yarn where the leader from the knot (tied around the shank of the hook) passes through the eye of the hook. By pulling a little of the leader back out of the eye and creating a "loop", placing your yarn (or bait) and pulling the leader tight again, the yarn is secured against the shank of the hook below the eye and can easily be replaced. The main application difference between the two is that the "loop" area on the snell knot is small, which works for yarn, but has a tendency to "cut" through your bait when pulled tight causing you to lose it quickly. The egg loop knot increases the loop size (depending on how many wraps of line around the shank of the hook are used) resulting in a larger "loop" that will cinch bait down, but not so tight that it gets cut in half.

The tool you referred too sounds like a whip finishing tool? A common fly tying tool used for finishing a the knot when tying flies. That not a tool you'd typically use on the riverbank though. So, maybe this might be some other tool I'm not yet familiar with.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:21 pm

You're spot on bent, a snell is terrible for bait. You'll lose more eggs casting than fishing lol. It does hold yarn tighter than an egg loop though​ and that's why I use it for most of my drift fishing.

The tool sounds like a whip finisher to me as well. They're easy to use and fairly inexpensive.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.