Fishing line issue

Post your Jig, Spinners and spoon photos and directions here
ruthven78
Commander

Fishing line issue

Post by ruthven78 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:39 pm

This was the only "hardware" or "gear" minded category so Im asking here. I get quite frustrated when line seems to just "leap" off my spool. This happens mostly when casting and can cause knots or loose loops on the spool. I've had this happen a few times this season, more often than previous years. Im using a spinning rod. Im trying to think of when it happens the most and I believe its just after casting, like after the weight has landed in the water, or just sitting there as my reel has a slight backward play to it before hitting the stop....so when the line is loose is when it happens most, never when Im reeling in. This has happened on any line I've used regardless of the lbs test rating, though I've always used 8lb or higher test....right now I have 12lb test on it...not sure why I bought it or the line was given to me.
Snakes dont have any arms that's why they dont wear vests - Stephen Wright

kutthroatkilla
Commander

RE:Fishing line issue

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:45 pm

ruthven78 wrote:This was the only "hardware" or "gear" minded category so Im asking here. I get quite frustrated when line seems to just "leap" off my spool. This happens mostly when casting and can cause knots or loose loops on the spool. I've had this happen a few times this season, more often than previous years. Im using a spinning rod. Im trying to think of when it happens the most and I believe its just after casting, like after the weight has landed in the water, or just sitting there as my reel has a slight backward play to it before hitting the stop....so when the line is loose is when it happens most, never when Im reeling in. This has happened on any line I've used regardless of the lbs test rating, though I've always used 8lb or higher test....right now I have 12lb test on it...not sure why I bought it or the line was given to me.
Interesting. Something like this has happened to me as well ruthven78. My issue was because the line was spooled in an improper manner, so check that one critically. I usually spool my reels myself so as to ensure everything functions a-ok. Are you "over-spooling" the reel? Sometimes that is quite common with these kind of problems. I used to "spool" too much line on my reel and it would do this as well. If those two things don't reduce the problem, it could possibily be the mechanisms in the reel itself.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:14 pm

well when I have spooled the last few times I just lay the spool on the ground, hold the line in my hand at the first eye from the reel, and reel it on. I've tried not to overspool so I dont think that is it. I dont know a "proper" technique for spooling so maybe that is it?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:36 pm

ruthven78 wrote:well when I have spooled the last few times I just lay the spool on the ground, hold the line in my hand at the first eye from the reel, and reel it on. I've tried not to overspool so I dont think that is it. I dont know a "proper" technique for spooling so maybe that is it?

I know that this has come up before on here.. But tonight I just pulled off all the line on 3 different reels. I was using P-line XXX and I bought that after much forum discussion to what people liked for line. But speaking to your point about how you spooled it. I am much embarrased to admit that when spooling line it is always my attempt to run a dowel or something through the piece holding the line, and then to reel it on to my reel in an even, straight direction as it comes naturally off the line hub. This I know to be correct..... but unfortunately often times the dowel or whatever falls apart and the hub of fresh line falls on to the floor and I just keep reeling it on to the reel (now think about how it is coming off of the hub---- it's not coming off the same as if you ran it off of a dowel. Since this week I am convinced that this is screwing up the way that line is going on your reel. I have never had such a problem with line memory, and loops, and hassles as since this.

Good luck
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

sgpwayne
Petty Officer

Post by sgpwayne » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 am

sounds like you are spooling too much line. try stripping off some line. I try to leave about 1/8" of the spool showing and I haven't had that problem in a long time. There is a proper way to fill your spool, check the packaging for instructions. I think the line should be filling the reel the opposite way it is coming off the spool. Some of the guys should be able to explain more . WAYNE

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:35 am

Yes, it's important to spool your line correctly. Mono has memory and while it's sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to buy it, it sets a curl in the shape of the retail spool. Make sure that the curl, as it comes off the spool, lies naturally as it fills your reel. I have also heard recently, and was unaware, that if you close the bail by turning the reel handle that it may cause the line to form a little loop as you reel in. That can also cause a problem so Hank Parker at least recommends that you close the bail by hand. I've been so frustrated with the problem you mention that sometimes I will let out about 9/10th of my line without any terminal gear and troll fast. Many times that helps to straighten the line.

Good Luck,
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:36 am

When I spool a spinning reel I always break the rod down first, run the line through the one eye, and hold the line between my fingers a few inches above the reel. This keeps the line tight, which allows the line to go on the reel tightly. If the line is tight on the spool, I don't think you should have any problem with it looping during or after a cast. The tension on the spool is what keeps it from slipping during a cast.

And as was also mentioned, try to keep about 1/8" between the line and the end of the spool. That definitely helps.

Now, I just need to practice with my new baitcaster so I can stop getting all that backlash hehe....
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:45 am

On a bait caster the line must be put on with something through the center hole of the line spool. So when you real it on the line gos on with out twist! On a spinning real you don't want the new line to spin just come off the line spool on to the real. And with both you must keep line restance so the line gos on tight!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am

Lotsa good points here...listen to them, and it will help reduce (or eliminate) this problem.
I'll racap, and add a few tid-bits of my own.

First and foremost, get the line on the spool somewhat tight. This usally requires reeling the line in through pinched fingers. The extra tension assures the line fits snug to the spool.

Second, definitely use a dowel when spooling up. Laying it on the floor while you load the spool will guarantee some line twist...it also fights the "memory" that the mono has built.

Third, with mono (especially the cheap stuff), I like to spool up the day before I know I'm going to use it.
This way, the line that you SNUGLY spooled up has a chance "set" it's memory to the spool on your reel...rather than the spool it came packaged on from the store.

Fourth, as mentioned, don't overdo it. Leave 1/8" of spool without line on it.
Too much will cause the exact problem you're having.

Last but not least...I've become a fan of the "reverse taper" spool. I know Daiwa uses it quite a bit. It seems to keep the line on the spool better (even if you put on too much). It also seems to increase casting distance a small degree....at least, these are the things I noticed when I swapped out reels this year.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:01 pm

LOL, this brings a lot of less than fond memories to mind.

First, mono has memory, as has been suggested, but some mono is much worse than others. I find that my P line is pretty bad, with Suffix quite improved, and Gamma even more improved. The brand/type of mono really does make a huge difference. FYI, Cabelas' Pro Line is really bad while their Dymel Tetcan (spelled wrong for sure) is one of the best. Please note that while I find my P line to have a lot of memory, it is tough as nails.

Second, how you spool makes a huge difference.

Bait Casting reels should have the mono spooled one way, while spinning reals need it spooled a different way. If you want I will try to take a picture of this and post it later, but forgive me for trying to explain. If you took a dowel or a pencil and put it through the hole in the spool, than placed the dowel between the legs, the spool would unwind with the line coming directly from the spool while the spool turns. This is the same way that the line goes on a bait caster, so twist and memory do not apply if done this way.

Spinning reals and spin casting reals are a different animal all together. Because the line wraps differently, you should turn the dowel so that the line now comes over the side of the spool. This takes the line off the spool either clockwise or counter clockwise. If, while reeling the line on, it starts to twist and form loops, turn the spool over and take the line off the spool in a different direction. The new direction will usually be OK to fill the entire spool with now, but if it starts to twist again, reverse the spool of line and change it back and forth as often as necessary.

Third, if you do get a lot of twist, and for short term memory reduction, you can take a line without sinkers, hooks, swivels, anything at all, and let it out behind either a moving boat of into a stream flow. The pressure of the water moving over the line removes all twist and stretches out the memory (at least for a while). The faster the water moves, the quicker the process. This works even if you have a lure, or fish, twist up the line leaving it is a real mess.

Forth, and this takes a bit of humility to admit, the products that are sold to reduce line tangles work quite well. I felt that such products would do nothing, but, when I was given a can of "Reel Magic", and actually tried it, darn it all, it reduced line memory, reduced twisting, and made for easier casting, all without damage to the line.#-o

Fifth, reeling in a fish, against a drag, will twist the line faster than anything else if you are using a spinning reel of spin cast reel. If your drag is letting out line, don't real. To gain line, pump your rod up and real down keeping the line tight, but not slipping. If the fish takes off, let the drag do its job and stop reeling.

Last, closing a reel with the handle and not by hand has only a minimal effect on line twist. It is true that your spool rotates a small amount without the bail engaging the line, thus creating twist in the same manor as reeling against the drag, but .................... you don't get but about a half turn at a time. Still, if you fish as much as Hank Parker, I'm sure it could add up in a hurry.

OK, you have my input, based on about 45 years of fishing experience. I hope this helps someone.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:50 pm

ruthven78 wrote:This was the only "hardware" or "gear" minded category so Im asking here. I get quite frustrated when line seems to just "leap" off my spool. This happens mostly when casting and can cause knots or loose loops on the spool. I've had this happen a few times this season, more often than previous years. Im using a spinning rod. Im trying to think of when it happens the most and I believe its just after casting, like after the weight has landed in the water, or just sitting there as my reel has a slight backward play to it before hitting the stop....so when the line is loose is when it happens most, never when Im reeling in. This has happened on any line I've used regardless of the lbs test rating, though I've always used 8lb or higher test....right now I have 12lb test on it...not sure why I bought it or the line was given to me.
Are you using mono? I see you mention 12# test. Assuming you are using a spinning reel, and one sized for bass fishing, the size of your line is probably the culprit.

Flourocarbon at the higher tests on a spinning can be just as much of a pain. FC line can have a tendency to want to jump off the spool despite putting less line on. Try to fill it so that the line is 1/8" from the top of the spool. However the best solution is to you a line with a thinner diameter than than line you're using now.

You probably close the bail manually but if not you should. Also, this is only half of the battle. Before you start the retrieve, bottom line is this:

Make sure that there is absolutely NO SLACK on your side of the bail before starting any retrieve. It's no big deal. All you have to do is move your rig to either side of you or slightly backward enough to add tension to the line. This practically eliminates twists and whatever. I can practically guarantee it if the reel is at least in the Sahara class and up.

Now if you're using a casting reel, you've got me stumped. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:09 pm

try spraying WD 40 on the spool then with just a heavy weight cast out a couple times as far as you can to get some of the twist out. WD 40 wont hurt regular mono.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:38 pm

I have experienced the same problem. Supposedly you should lay the spool flat and make sure the line unwinds in the opposite direction that it winds on your reel. This does NOT apply for baitcasters, where using a dowel through the center of the spool is the way to go.

I have found that my line inevitably gets twisted to some degree when I load it onto a spinning reel, regardless of how the spool is laying on the floor. Many times I have "trolled" my line behind the boat to straighten it. It really does do wonders for twisted line. :compress:

As was mentioned in a previous post, another thing that helps is line conditioner -- especially if you're using cheap mono. I've had good luck with Line & Lure.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:19 pm

What brand line are you spooling? Some brands are just too stiff for spinning reels, and will unravel/loosen out of control. Maxima UG is one of them. Great for casting reels and leaders, but problematic for spinning reels.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:42 pm

I had been using mostly berkeley or trilene in the past. I think Im going to go to braided line next and try that out

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:06 pm

try using maxima or another well known brand i had the same problem with berkley lines in the past and i had half a spool on my reel.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

sgpwayne
Petty Officer

Post by sgpwayne » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:04 pm

I wouldn't change the type of line until you figure out what is happening with the line you have. Braided line has its own set of problems as does flourocarbon . Figure out whats going on before you try another type . use reel magic or WD-40 on your line and it will help reduce the memory WAYNE ps. I use original STREN clear blue and have very little line twist problems
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 pm

ruthven78 wrote:I had been using mostly berkeley or trilene in the past. I think Im going to go to braided line next and try that out
The Berkley/Trilene comes in model XL (extra limp) and XT (extra tough) and others. The XL is great for spinning reels. The XT is horrible for spinning reels--too stiff due to its harder coating to prevent abrasion.

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 am

A less serious approach-
-For proper spooling of line from the bulk spool to reel have wife hold bulk spool with pencil through the middle while giving you the "you want me to do what" look.
-Insert line through first guide and attach to reel.
-With slight tension, too much creates pinches between layers, too little creates the slinky after a cast, reel slowly until the reel is filled so if you hold the edge of a quarter on the line at the front of the spool and look at the spool face Washington's nose touches the outside of the spool (appx 1/8").

-I've given up on Trilene XT due to too many line memory tangles and issues in the past just like Shad Eating Grin mentioned.

-Remember to thank your wife for the quality time. :)
Take a kid fishing and make some reel memories.

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:23 am

"you want me to do what" look

I know that look!