How to properly sharpen an ice auger?

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
KCDEIFE
Petty Officer

How to properly sharpen an ice auger?

Post by KCDEIFE » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:19 am

Went out yesterday and I learned the hard way my ice auger needs sharpening. Just wondering what the proper way to sharpen it is?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: How to properly sharpen an ice auger?

Post by Amx » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:22 am

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Aku ... =yfp-t-701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:45 am

New blades are not that expensive. I replace mine every few years and it sure saves alot of spinning the auger unless you're real good with a wet stone. Check out replacement blades on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm

KC- I wouldn't waste my time trying honestly, unless you have the right set-up (a metal shop) Most augers require blades to be at an exact angle. I know that if I tried to sharpen my Nils without the proper tools, I would end up buying a new head. Just go buy some blades for cheap and install them. If you get aftermarket blades, they will be sharp and most likely last longer than the original ones. Good luck....Sounds like you had fun on El!

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Seriously cant be that hard to sharpen with a few passes of a good file??? Id do my own but thats just me. I sharpen my own knives, axes, chisels and drill bits. Depends on your abilities I suppose.

rusty
Petty Officer

Post by rusty » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Central saw works on sharpened mine about 2 years ago. Did'nt cost much and worked great. They are off freya near napa main store.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:39 am

I sharpen everything also. EXCEPT MY AUGER BLADES!!!! It is worth it to find someone who is set up and has done it many times. I carry a file and will touch up blades on the ice but when I get them back from the sharpener they cut 20 times better. I pay $12.50 to get mine done here but I think I get a deal....