ice fishing moses not I90 bridge

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
juggalo
Petty Officer

ice fishing moses not I90 bridge

Post by juggalo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:33 pm

I know there are other places that freeze up and must be productive.

juggalo
Petty Officer

Re: ice fishing moses not I90 bridge

Post by juggalo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:39 pm

I also know there are nice perch and eater walleye somewhere other than the I90 bridge.has this web site gotten too big for people to give up usefully info?

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:26 pm

The flats south of the bridge kick out nice ones of both, as does the space between and around Goat and Galleys Islands. Airman's Beach area is sometimes good for bigger walleye, but not big numbers. Most of the Lewis Horn has Walleye, and if there's any water running out, near the spillways has pretty much any of the species. The shallower areas have more ice, and 10-15' seems usually best. The map of the lake put out by Fish-n-Map Co is pretty accurate, at least as a starting point. Ice conditions are variable, so be careful. Goes without saying, so generally people say it anyway.... If I have any doubt, I stay off, but if I don't know an area, I use my pontoon as a sled for gear and a seat. A friend and I several years ago purposely broke through ice on a small pond you could stand up in, then tossed a small pontoon anchor on light rope, and were able to pull out with a modicum of effort. Not saying people should do that, but if it happens, it makes good rescue gear. My friend tried heating the anchor with propane torch and tossing it on the ice, but it didn't get him all the way out. Might have needed longer to heat. Better if someone's around.
Hope that's helpful. I haven't made it up to test the ice in those areas yet, but past years have produced there.

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:24 pm

thanx a lot fc.I usually drill a lot of holes to check the ice,being 250lb I am very cautious. when on the ice.I'll try to find that map let ever
yone know how I do