Ice Reports 2016-2017

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cumminsbassguy
Petty Officer

Re: Ice Reports 2016-2017

Post by cumminsbassguy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Wonder how they were doing. Good deal on the perch. Those are some true jumbos

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:27 am

Anybody know how the ice is at the potholes reservoir. Looking to try for perch and rainbows. Also does anyone ice fish corral lake on the south end of potholes. Would the ice be safe there or should I just stick with Moses for perch.

cumminsbassguy
Petty Officer

Post by cumminsbassguy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:16 am

I had called mardon a week or so ago. And they said there wasn't any safe ice. And that if they got any wind, it would be gone. Call mardon though, they'll have the latest and greatest. You can also fish off their docks for crappie and walleye

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:40 pm

cumminsbassguy wrote:I had called mardon a week or so ago. And they said there wasn't any safe ice. And that if they got any wind, it would be gone. Call mardon though, they'll have the latest and greatest. You can also fish off their docks for crappie and walleye
Yea I'm aware of calling mardon. I appreciate the thought but was looking for more of an anglers perspective though

cumminsbassguy
Petty Officer

Post by cumminsbassguy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:47 pm

I hear ya.. anglers know best. What's the deal with "north potholes reserve ponds"

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:51 am

Want to go ice fishing tomorrow morning and was wondering how the ice was out at either potholes or Moses. If anybody needs a partner to go out with and don't mind me tagging along that would be great. I can meet up at either lake. Could anybody offer any suggestions if I don't have an auger to make holes? I have a drill but not sure if it is sufficient enough. Also wondering what most are using to catch perch and which reservoir is doing better.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:59 pm

I haven't tried ice fishing but I'm heading out tomorrow too for the first time. Reports say Moses by i90 are slow, I'm going to call mardon and see how they've been doing in lind coulee for perch and walleye. Both should have plenty of ice after the single digits this week. I'm thinking I might head to Winchester wasteway then to mesa lake if it's not good there. Or my buddy and I might head to the Yakima ponds and try it there. Took me 6 years to finally do it hah, been itching to try it.

cumminsbassguy
Petty Officer

Post by cumminsbassguy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:48 pm

If you don't have an auger you can use a pick axe. Or a regular axe, or chainsaw,. As for fishing, call tri state outfitters, they might have some good info on what's hot and not

bsuman76
Angler

Post by bsuman76 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:02 am

Those of you that are new to ice fishing and even those veterans please please for the safety of all remember that state law states no hole can be larger than 8 inches wide. Anything larger can be an enormous safety hazard. Good luck everyone. See you on the ice!

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:05 am

They're catching some perch at Lind Coulee, but mostly kind of mediocre. Moses started well but mostly has been pretty slow. Banks at the South end is being fished, but I don't know of many who did well. Trout seem more inclined to bite there.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 am

Oh, and the ice was at least 6" in most places, while the North end of Banks just barely iced up the a few days ago. Remember if you go, the Ice thins where there is current, as in under the I-90 bridge at Moses. Don't risk your life or the lives of your would be rescuers. Test carefully if you go where no one else is nearby, wearing a life jacket and carrying a couple of spikes in your pockets. No chances. Shock and hypothermia are fast attackers right now.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Went to potholes and Moses lake yesterday. It was slow at potholes in the morning. 7-8 inches of ice, only heard of people getting one or two bites, didn't see one fish landed while we were there. Went to Moses late in the day after running around Winchester wasteway area and I ended up catching a 20 inch walleye. Lost another fish that had some weight to it also. Saw a couple crappie caught and a small bass. Overall slow for perch like the reports that have been coming in.

Eglseder
Petty Officer

Post by Eglseder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Hey guys! I am up in Lake Stevens...long drive out east. A buddy and I are trying to go to moses or lind coulee. I know that the ice should be good to go. I was wondering if anyone has any fishing reports for the last few days in either area. I want to make sure it's not dead dead. Long drive to go and not catch anything. I have been ice fishing my whole life, but this would be my first attempt in the great state of Washington. Any info would be much appreciated! Please PM me if you have anything. We are just trying to get some nice perch and maybe a bonus wally. Thanks in advance.

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Post by GoingtoFish » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:46 pm

I have never been Ice Fishing and my son and I are thinking of going this Sunday to Fish Lake. I've been looking for a cheap Ice Auger and can't seem to find anywhere around my area that sells them near me. Does anyone know of where I can get one for less than $50.

Thanks guys!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 pm

GoingtoFish wrote:I have never been Ice Fishing and my son and I are thinking of going this Sunday to Fish Lake. I've been looking for a cheap Ice Auger and can't seem to find anywhere around my area that sells them near me. Does anyone know of where I can get one for less than $50.

Thanks guys!
Just saw a few on Amazon, with delivery by Saturday.

Fordtuff
Petty Officer

Post by Fordtuff » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:53 pm

GoingtoFish wrote:I have never been Ice Fishing and my son and I are thinking of going this Sunday to Fish Lake. I've been looking for a cheap Ice Auger and can't seem to find anywhere around my area that sells them near me. Does anyone know of where I can get one for less than $50.

Thanks guys!
I went to fish lake last weekend to try my hand at ice fishing. I got a cheaper auger off Amazon. I can't think of ever seeing one in a store around here. One suggestion I have is make sure you also get something to use as an ice skimmer. I don't have much gear and didn't bring anything to keep the hole clear. Well, it would freeze up pretty fast. I had some gore-tex gloves that I used but that definitely isn't the answer.

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Post by GoingtoFish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 am

The Quadfather wrote:

Thanks guys!
Just saw a few on Amazon, with delivery by Saturday.

I checked and the 2 cheaper ones were either out of stock or 1 to 2 months delivery. I could get one of the more expensive ones but I won't be ice fishing enough to make that worth it to me.

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Post by GoingtoFish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 am

Fordtuff wrote:

Thanks guys!
I went to fish lake last weekend to try my hand at ice fishing. I got a cheaper auger off Amazon. I can't think of ever seeing one in a store around here. One suggestion I have is make sure you also get something to use as an ice skimmer. I don't have much gear and didn't bring anything to keep the hole clear. Well, it would freeze up pretty fast. I had some gore-tex gloves that I used but that definitely isn't the answer.

Thanks!

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Usually lots of folks that will let you borrow one for a couple of holes. Take a perforated ladle or even a sieve to keep the ice clear. Pocket warmers and something like a rug or plywood to stand on helps with the cold. Don't know how old your son is, but the younger ones enjoy it a lot more if they are warm. Hot chocolate helps, too.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 pm

That was our problem, forgot something to scoop the ice out. We just used my buddy's flask he was using to scoop the ice out.

Anyone have ice thickness or reports for Myron Pond or any of the I-82 ponds? I'm thinking of trying over there instead of heading up to Moses Lake if there's a good amount of ice on the ponds, which I'm sure there is.