Spokane Area Lakes

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Spokane Area Lakes

Post by aaron42ash » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:20 pm

I thought I would start a thread on reports about ice safety and the fishing for the lakes near Spokane. This month is supposed to be cold, especially north of Spokane, where temps are predicted to average about 30(HI) and 17(LOW). If you get a chance to check out the lakes, just let us know how much ice they have, or if you drilled any holes, how the fishing was. Thanks for all of your time. Stay safe and tight lines.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kfedka
Commander

RE:Spokane Area Lakes

Post by Kfedka » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:49 am

Somethings gotta freeze up, at least in the north over two weeks off freezing temperatures.... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/9 ... undeclared
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:37 pm

You bet. I was going to check Elioka next monday. It's my favorite lake for ice fishing. It's supposed to be really cold up there for about a week, then maybe snow. So hopefully we have about 3-4 inches at least on the south end. Typically the north is slower to freeze, but I will at least stop by Jerry's Landing to check it out. If I drill a hole of two I will let you know. Just a heads-up to ice fishermen, the Wholesale Sports store in what was Sportsman's Warehouse has some great gear for reasonable prices compared to Cabela's. They have a whole section of Jigs for 55cents that I raided. They have some great colors and many of them glow red or green when charged. Tipped with a maggot and one of my tails they will work great.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:06 am

Thanks for the heads up about sportsman, I'll check them out today.

Xwisconyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Xwisconyfisherman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:17 pm

Hey let me know if you get out to elioka, its the only lake I found last winter thats worth fishing around spokane. I was going to check it out today, but my rig died so I had to go car shopping instead.. Thanks

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:20 pm

Ok will do. Does anyone know where I could buy some atomic nuggies or wedgees in the area? I can't find them at any of the shops and they have just killed in Wisconsin in the past. Most places online seem to be out of stock. Also, I hate waiting for shipping...

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Ok. Elioka has about 7" of solid clear ice. It's so clear you can see the bottom at any given part of the lake. I fished for about an hour and caught a few dink perch about 100yds off of the public launch. I will try the north end of the lake next time I head out.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanx for the heads up on Eloika. Sence the Steeleheading has been kinda disapointing a am ready for a mess of Perch.

Also it is almost time to head for Bead and or Sullivan as soon as the weather picks up to the uppers 20s to the lower 30s. Last year I caught a few decent Macs in Bead and several large Lings (yum) in both.

In addition I may try Williams near Colville.

aaron42ash I don't even know what atomic nuggies and wedgies are other then the wedgies I used to give my younger brothers.
Well its not called Catching!

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:43 am

Talked to some people, Sprague and Silver(Spokane Country) are covered in good ice as well.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Hit Silver lake today. Ice is 5" to 6", very strong. Check my report.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:55 pm

I always forget about Silver.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Ya I have lived here for about 8 years now and I think that Silver is the only lake in the area I haven't tried. I wouldn't even know where to drill a hole to be honest. I'm heading out to Elioka again tomorrow. I think i will launch at the public area and slowly work my way north of Jerry's Landing. Nice job on the perch Kfedka...hope i can get into some tomorrow.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Left a report on Eloika. Check it out if you're interested. There is really good ice all over the lake. I measured no less than 7" everywhere I drilled.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:36 pm

aaron42ash, I read your report on Eloika nice Cappie. I have caught a few nice ones in years past. I live fairly close to El but I may have to try Bead for the Lings this weekend.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:31 pm

Hey if anyone gets out this weekend after the holidays please post ice health. I'm sure there is still plenty, but with all of that rain and warm weather, you never know about the springs or areas with current... I think I will hit Eloika again just because it's close. I'll post a report when I get back.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Despite af the recent rain Elioka has great ice on it. It's all about 10" think no matter where I drilled. It sure is moaning though. I will post a report on the fishing later tonight.

1958zelda
Angler

Post by 1958zelda » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:21 pm

I was at Elioka on the 26th and fished for about 2 1/2 hours and caught 4 perch, fished out from the public launch. The ice was about 8-9" thick even though i didnt catch alot of fish it was fun for the first time on ice this year.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Fished Silver 1/2, 1/3 & 1/5. Ice on 1/5 was 5" closer to shore and 6-7" out in middle of the lake. Perch bite has been consistent. Deeper waters ~25ft hold bigger fish. A lot of sorting to find larger fish, although nothng broke 9", some had good shoulders to 'em. Shrimpo jig with maggot or perch eye has done well for me. AM bite - tends to die down approaching noon. Took home around 30 larger fish each time, and threw back more than twice that number. Not taking home buckets (not sure I'd want to clean a bucketful, especially the really small ones I see everybody keeping). 9" is still small, but I heard that's about the size of 'em at Silver.

Heard Eloika held bigger perch from a fellow angler, 10"+ but from another group that the bite was less consistent.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Jay K wrote:Fished Silver 1/2, 1/3 & 1/5. Ice on 1/5 was 5" closer to shore and 6-7" out in middle of the lake. Perch bite has been consistent. Deeper waters ~25ft hold bigger fish. A lot of sorting to find larger fish, although nothng broke 9", some had good shoulders to 'em. Shrimpo jig with maggot or perch eye has done well for me. AM bite - tends to die down approaching noon. Took home around 30 larger fish each time, and threw back more than twice that number. Not taking home buckets (not sure I'd want to clean a bucketful, especially the really small ones I see everybody keeping). 9" is still small, but I heard that's about the size of 'em at Silver.

Heard Eloika held bigger perch from a fellow angler, 10"+ but from another group that the bite was less consistent.
Jay thanks for posting. You should consider posting a fishing report what that same info of you post, its good to go back and check someday or so people at least have an idea how that lakes are doing.

Silver lake is very close to Spokane, that is one reason why I tend to go there often in winter.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Kfedka- I was planning on making reports, but I've been looking all around the forum and can't quite figure how to post lake reports. I can only seem to read reports. Silver's a great lake - love it. Went out again today and did even better; I seem to improve each time I'm out there in terms on numbers and mainly size. I finally got a jumbo (have yet to measure it). I'd love to post some reports and pics - we'll see if I can figure it out.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.