Spoons

Post any questions and photos about old fishing rods, reels and gear!
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Spoons

Post by racfish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:11 pm

I was going through my tackle baxes and I came up with some very cool spoons. One was a "Johnson Sprite" It looks like a Fiord spoon same red white coloring. Also in the box were a couple Fiords and Lil Cleos. I found Kastmasters and crocs. Seeing this reminded me of the 70's and spooning Lk Wa. as a kid. In this same box were something called Coho Flies. (made from Polar Bear hair.) Digging through gear is like looking through the old family picture album. Its funny how what worked back then we dont use today. We find the new more scientific ways of catching. Its more then amazing how much gear Ive collected for 50 years. Sheeeesh.!!!

edge540
Commander

Re: Spoons

Post by edge540 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Thats cool, I have a ton of old gear from my grandpa and dad, Spoons are one of my favorite methods of fishing but I rarely seem to catch anything off of them ](*,)

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Wow!!! Ive been cleaning up gear and been finding amazing things. Old Bass Hula-Bops and plugs. Old salmon plugs. F;atfish that were huge. Really cool stuff Ive forgotton about. I wonder why no one ever started a fishing gear Musuem before. I have some real interesting stuff.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Coho flies work and can still be bought, they just aren't tied using polar bear hair anymore. If you have a few, try them tied up in tandem, that is two or three on one line spaced about 8" to 12" apart.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 pm

You can probably put them up on sale on Ebay and make some money. Some of the more collectible one will fetch something. Plus theres guys out there that just want something for keepsake. A lure that their father taught them to use when they were little kids.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:53 pm

When I used to use Coho flies Id put them behind my #0 dodger and troll them in the wake of the boat. They would almost skip on the surface and Silvers would smack them super hard. Youre only fishing maybe 6 ' deep. A lil herring strip worked well but mainly for throw back shakers.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:01 am

Coho Flies, AKA Buck Tail flies, horse hair died different colors.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am

Yeah, nostalgia can be great. When my GrandPa passed I inherited several older (50-60's) Mitchell reels, several bamboo poles, and a couple tackle boxes full of lures I've never seen the likes of before. Unfortunately with a only a teenage daughter who hates fishing (she get's it from her mom obviously) I guess I'm the end of the line. Just can't bring myself to sell any of it.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:27 am

I am a fishing gear hoarder. I have just about every reel ,pole,spoons,spinners and tackle from when I started fishing in the late fifties. I just can get rid of this stuff.In every room in my house,my desk at work, truck and car all have some kind of gear in it. Usually corkies and spin n glos.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:01 pm

racfish wrote:When I used to use Coho flies Id put them behind my #0 dodger and troll them in the wake of the boat. They would almost skip on the surface and Silvers would smack them super hard. Youre only fishing maybe 6 ' deep. A lil herring strip worked well but mainly for throw back shakers.
Every year I coho fish at Shilshole I try this at crack o dawn. I think it worked once and was way cool.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:18 am

racfish wrote:I am a fishing gear hoarder. I have just about every reel ,pole,spoons,spinners and tackle from when I started fishing in the late fifties. I just can get rid of this stuff.In every room in my house,my desk at work, truck and car all have some kind of gear in it. Usually corkies and spin n glos.
wow. that is a lot of gear!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:16 am

If you like the old fishing tackle stores then I recommend Lincs on Rainier Ave.They have such cool older gear in that store. Huge Kings mounted on the wall. Large Steelheads too. They have new gear but also still have some older gear. It reminds me of how tackle stores used to be.

fishmanjh
Angler

Post by fishmanjh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:28 am

I still fish with Dad's olde Abalone spoons. He had 2 left in his Tackle box from years ago. REAL Abalone. They work great on Silvers. And in Lake Wa. for trout.

ptfletcher
Petty Officer

Post by ptfletcher » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:25 am

fishmanjh wrote:I still fish with Dad's olde Abalone spoons. He had 2 left in his Tackle box from years ago. REAL Abalone. They work great on Silvers. And in Lake Wa. for trout.
I have a couple of those. I love them so much that I'm afraid to fish with them and maybe lose them. I haven't seen any since. I use them as pulls on the zippers of my fishing vest.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:41 am

TroutSnipr wrote:Yeah, nostalgia can be great. When my GrandPa passed I inherited several older (50-60's) Mitchell reels, several bamboo poles, and a couple tackle boxes full of lures I've never seen the likes of before. Unfortunately with a only a teenage daughter who hates fishing (she get's it from her mom obviously) I guess I'm the end of the line. Just can't bring myself to sell any of it.
Hold out hope! If you got a daughter, you may have grandsons. And if you do, and take em fishing, you will have a fishing partner for the rest of your days!

I had only girls (although they love to fish with dad), but now I got four grandsons and they cant think of anything better than fishing with their grandpa!
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 pm

I got some stuff still with the price tags in my old gear collection from stores long gone and manufactures dead or moved to china. looking at making molds of some of my antique plugs, made copies of some of the spoons and they work.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:49 pm

fishmanjh wrote:I still fish with Dad's olde Abalone spoons. He had 2 left in his Tackle box from years ago. REAL Abalone. They work great on Silvers. And in Lake Wa. for trout.
i've got a couple of these, to afraid to use them.

db340
Petty Officer

Post by db340 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Thought I would share a few ... An Eddie Bauer, a Haury's circa 1939 from the old Haury's boathouse (now seacrest marina) and a Monk's Moocher by K.C. manufacturing in what was Winslow wa.