The Worth of Old Gear

Post any questions and photos about old fishing rods, reels and gear!
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

The Worth of Old Gear

Post by racfish » Sat May 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Recently while cleaning out Dads home I stumbled on some old fishing tackle. I feel like I found treasure.2 older Mitchell 300s My old Ambassador and a few other things. I started pricing them out on CL and EBAY. Unfortunately these items are not worth their weight in gold. (or alum) Hahaha. At least I got great memories from the gear.I'll still need to buy my lottery tics.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Re: The Worth of Old Gear

Post by Onmygame » Sat May 13, 2017 10:32 pm

The value of any single item on the secondary market depends on two things - supply vs demand, and overall condition of the item.
Mitchell 300s that were made in France will fetch more than those made in Taiwan but are still common. Original boxes in exc condition can 2x - 3x the value of the reel when sold together.
ABU Ambassadeurs can be worth a great deal if pre- 1980s, and in good or better condition.
There is a lot of gear out there that has the potential to be valuable, but at the same time, much of it is hard to even give away.
Using eBay to price your gear is probably the BEST way to go for accuracy - PROVIDED - you only use data from completed sales. This is the measure of what people are paying, and you want to ignore asking prices in active listings as the mean nada.
onmygame