Mitchell 300 (old school version)

Post any questions and photos about old fishing rods, reels and gear!
Fish-N-Fool
Captain

RE:Mitchell 300 (old school version)

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri May 06, 2011 3:18 pm

I also grew up on the original Mitchell 300, I used some of them for 30+ years. They were a great reel, 1000 times better then the so called 300X reels they make today. I sold all my old 300's on Ebay about 5 years ago now and I got more for them then i paid for them new back then.
A good used 300 from the late 60's or early 70's goes for about 30 to 50 bucks depending on condition but the same reel in unused still in the box with all the paperwork can go for as much as $500.. Some early and specality model can go for a lot more then that. I seen some up in the 1000's, a collectors gold plated model I saw go for $4000 and change.
Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Fri May 06, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

Leeboysme63
Angler

Post by Leeboysme63 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 am

I love my Mitchell!! Had it since 1989(bought it used) and many a Bass and silver salmon have felt the squeek that thing makes on their lips..LOL

Terry Fortier
Angler

Post by Terry Fortier » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:10 pm

I grew up using a Mitchell 300 reel almost every weekend during the fifties and sixties. Then when I was raising three sons during the eighties and early nineties I bought Mitchell 300A reels for them.

Recently, I began buying these old reels on eBay and restoring them to excellent working condition if possible. I currently have 10 model 300 and 300A reels so that I can outfit several of my grandchildren at one time.

I completely disassemble and clean the reels inside and out, repair or replace any bad parts, lubricate them using oil and aluminum-complex marine grease (Sta-Lube SL 3121). I sell some of the cleaned and lubed reels on eBay but I have not been able to do nearly as well as the earlier writer: The last model 300A I sold went for less than $10 after being reconditioned, though when I bid on reels, I usually can not buy them for less than $20 to $30 even when their condition is terrible.

Obviously, it is not a money making operation. I don't do it for that reason. These reels are still excellent performers when not worn out. They are unmatched for simplicity, durability and rugged reliability I am usually interested in picking up another of these reels and sometimes I even sell one too.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Terry, nice to see you reply/info on what you're doing with the Mitchell's. When I get around to organizing my Mitchell parts/reels, I may send you a message if there is anything that you would like. It's nice to think of the stuff going to someone who has an appreciation. As much as I like them,, I admit that I have gone over to a different more modern deigned reel for my daily driver.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

lumpdog005
Petty Officer

Re: Mitchell 300 (old school version)

Post by lumpdog005 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 pm

So I recently found a vintage harnell spinning rod that has the two rings to hold the reel. My 3rd gen 52-54 is now spooled, lubed and waiting in my trunk for opening weekend! Here's to keepin it old school one fish at a time! :fish: [thumbsup] :salut:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon May 13, 2013 6:42 am

I scored big time on Mothers day.I was helping my mom and dad clean out their garage today. I totally filled my pick up with junk and a few treasures.I found a box on an upper shelf which turned out to be my fishing gear from the 60's / 70's.In it were two Mitchell 300's.Two telescoping rods,Sammy specials (an old pre tied steelhead lure)two crocodile spoons,With the Mitchells there were 3 extra spools. SCORRRRREEEE!!!!!!

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Tue May 14, 2013 9:55 am

I am currently using my grandfathers old Mitchell 300 on my Eagle Claw featherlite. Great reel. Use it for all fish: bass, trout, trolling for Koks, you name it. Father has a couple as well. Unlce uses one too.

Caught countless fish of all types with the 300, and never a problem. Got a GLoomis GL2 recently, and considering transferring it to that pole, instead of buying a new reel. Still undecided.

They are built like a tank for sure.

Also bought a used 310 I think it was- nowhere near the durability of the 300.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed May 15, 2013 9:28 am

I recall the Mitchell reels having a rugged durability. Do not remember if they had a smoooooooth drag or not? Heavy too? Was the handle reversible for right or left hand retrieve?

During the 60's or 70's, wasn't there a two tone green, painted Abu Garcia that competed with the Mitchell 300's? I seem to remember having one of each model, each having a spare spool. With a round, red plastic storage container for the Abu spare spool.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 15, 2013 12:03 pm

That was the Cardninal series. Two tone green. I have both mine at home. One spinning I used to plunk the rivers the other was for trout/steelhead. I grew up using the Mitchell 300,and the Phluger Supreme baitcaster.I've been working on getting my gear all together but I have so so much gear.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed May 15, 2013 10:38 pm

MotoBoat wrote: I seem to remember having one of each model, each having a spare spool. With a round, red plastic storage container for the Abu spare spool.
I am the original poster... about 2 years back? Anyway, I've got about 4-5 of these, and yes, they had spare spools with a plastic spool holder. I will prob. put them up on the for sale block soon. Great at one time, but I too have moved on to 10-12 bearings of smoothness, called the Plugher President, ahhhhh.. [thumbup]

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu May 16, 2013 7:28 am

The Quadfather wrote:
MotoBoat wrote: I seem to remember having one of each model, each having a spare spool. With a round, red plastic storage container for the Abu spare spool.
I am the original poster... about 2 years back? Anyway, I've got about 4-5 of these, and yes, they had spare spools with a plastic spool holder. I will prob. put them up on the for sale block soon. Great at one time, but I too have moved on to 10-12 bearings of smoothness, called the Plugher President, ahhhhh.. [thumbup]
12 bearings of smooooooth! My old spin caster of yesterCentury..........LOL! Had open bearings made up of individual round balls. Much like a BB. Come to think of it, some fell out one time while inspecting the reel for enough grease. I seam to remember the BB's were interchangeable with the ones in the "Red Ryder" BB gun......LOL! With that in mind, I think as kid. I ran a couple through the BB gun.........ooops! Reel handle got a little wobbly after that.

Bustinbeats
Petty Officer

Post by Bustinbeats » Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 am

I inherited a whole big mess of 50s-60s era tackle , including a bunch of Mitchell 300 series "coffee grinders" . Some are still in the original box with then manual , etc. , and others are hanging on vintage spinning rods . I also have a couple of Johnson spincasters in MINT condition , in their boxes, as well as some Pflueger Skilcasts and Penn reels, also in excellent shape. My intent is to store them in a cool ,dry place for now, or possibly display them if I ever get my dream of a "sportsman's den" in my home.... then, when I retire and have the time, find nice homes for them with collectors to generate some extra fishin' trip funds. I don't suppose they will be going DOWN in value any time soon , right ?
Take what fish you can use, but use what fish you take !

fischer
Petty Officer

Post by fischer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 am

It seems like every 2nd guy has used a 300. But I have a 301 brand new in the box. If any one is
interested, give me a jingle.. fischer, 206-772-1259

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 pm

The 301 has the rounder bottom of reel?

fischer
Petty Officer

Post by fischer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 am

It is the same as a 300, but it is left handed.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Mitchell made a reel that was less expensive as the 300. I remember it had a smaller round body.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 am

I currently use a Mitchell 300 (mid 60s rougher condition) I use it on my humpy set up. I had no idea people collected these.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 am

im only 15 and I have 4 of them. I don't use them, but there cool to have. Once I move out in a few years, I plan on decorating my place with antique fishing and hunting gear.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

bcsbob
Angler

Post by bcsbob » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:22 am

I use everytime I fish for tout. I run them them on my old school Abu Garcia colonial and Harnell trout rods.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 am

What was cool over this last weekend was finding 4 extra spools and two cases with screw on lids to hold the extra spools. I love finding stuff like that.