Views Counter Counts No More

Questions, concerns, support for our Members
rseas
Commander

Views Counter Counts No More

Post by rseas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:33 am

What happened to the view or read counter feature on the Latest Reports page?

bionic_one
Captain

RE:Views Counter Counts No More

Post by bionic_one » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:35 am

Well first the "date fished" column was removed, so that the camera icon column could be added, then I complained about that, so the "date fished" was added back in, and the "viewed" column was taken out. :pirat:
Lee

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:09 am

Don't kneed to know how many views, don't really need to know if there is a picture. We DO need to know if there is a reply to the reports. :-) so we can go back and read the replies. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 am

This is a tough one, there's only so many columns we can have so someone is going to loss what they consider to be the most important information.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:25 am

I`m with AMX I don`t think the veiws are a big deal nor the pics. Although alot of guy`s like the pics. I want to know if there are replies. We do get e-mails to our own reports for replies but not others. Just my 2 cents.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:41 am

Do we really need to see the full name of the person that posted the report? Do we need to see the name at all? We'll see it once we open the report.
Lee

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 am

Ok, here's a good one;

Do away with the picture icon, and make it so IF there is a picture, the name of the lake, or the name of the specie, turns to darker, bold, or blue or some such. And then have a 'reply' column. :-) I start at the specie, then click on 'read', doesn't matter if there is a picture, or what lake or river it is.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:07 am

Or do away with the 'read' column, and make the 'specie' blue and clickable to read the report. Image
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:18 am

You can spot comments for reports using the comment watcher under the Community tab/link. I kind of like the picture icon.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 am

But under that feature, you have no idea what specie the report is about, I go by specie, not the lake, or the reporter, ect.
Tom.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:05 pm

I find the read counter valuable in determining whether or not my post is useful. When composing a report I try to write so that the reader’s attention is captured and the reader has something they can use after reading my report. At my end, the more views I get suggests that I am giving the customer what they want. If the report is only getting a few views then I need to review what I wrote and make adjustments for the next report. I know that a rating of 5 verses a 1 is naturally going to be read more frequently but there is still useful information that can be shared in posting a 1 rated report. The counter helps me determine if the information I provide is useful.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 pm

I almost never even look at the 'rating' of a fishing report. I want to read it anyway. The only reason the 'views' go up, is to see if there is a reply.
Tom.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:25 pm

rseas wrote:What happened to the view or read counter feature on the Latest Reports page?
It had to be removed. It's the least usable item on the list and the only way to add more items to the list is to remove others. The Views are still being tallied and are still viewable on the master list of reports for the individual area.

For example, here is the Comments View for a Skykomish river report which is the screen you see when you view the report from the Recent Reports page:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportCo ... d=9918&t=3

If you view the master list of reports for the Skykomish river you will see the view count right above the View Comments link, example:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportLi ... d=9918&t=3

It would be no trouble at all for me to add the Views number to the Comments page.... but adding it back to the Recent Reports list is just not happening due to space limitations. The request for putting the Photo icon back on that list has been hanging around for years now, and the View item was something that nobody actually requested, I just did it one day for no particular reason.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 pm

rseas wrote:I find the read counter valuable in determining whether or not my post is useful. When composing a report I try to write so that the reader’s attention is captured and the reader has something they can use after reading my report. At my end, the more views I get suggests that I am giving the customer what they want. If the report is only getting a few views then I need to review what I wrote and make adjustments for the next report. I know that a rating of 5 verses a 1 is naturally going to be read more frequently but there is still useful information that can be shared in posting a 1 rated report. The counter helps me determine if the information I provide is useful.
You're hired! I don't think I've ever read a mediocre report or blog post from you. :thumleft:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".