Camping At PotHoles

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
FishingFool
Commodore

Camping At PotHoles

Post by FishingFool » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Kind of want to check out new places next year instead of Steamboat. We're thinking of Potholes at the moment. We need power to charge batteries.

Looked overhead on the map at the State Park. Looks ok. But only 2 bathrooms for the entire park? Are there any private handicap bathrooms like they have at Steamboat? How is the state park? Looks like we'll have to get those RV spots with a tent.

Looked at Don's. From the images, it looks like a mad house. Everyone is packed in tightly like sardines. Do not want.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Camping At PotHoles

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:23 pm

There is/was a camp grounds just up the road slightly from the State campgrounds and public launch. Very nice place. I think they have power at each site. They also have a store. Haven't been there or to Potholes since '02.

Mardon's is very tight, and has a few/some small campsites where you have to unhook the trailer to park.
Tom.

Interests: living

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 pm

By any chance, do you remember the name of this place? I'm looking at the sat maps. I'm thinking it's the place across the street, north of the Potholes Golf Resort? Looks like it only has 10 spots. Doesn't look like a boat trailer and vehicle will fit.

I see there's several launches at PotHoles too. I spotted another one on the southeastern side right above the dam leading to Soda Lake.

1 major plus is, it is 1 hr less of driving.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:17 pm

I didn't know that there was a golf course around there.

Find the State Park. Go out to the main road, turn left to get to the public launch, and to get to Mardon's.

I don't remember if the other camp grounds is to the left or right, but it's close and on the other side of the main road from the lake.

To get to that other camp grounds from the public launch come out from that public launch and turn right/north. This is also on the same side of the lake as Mardon's.
Tom.

Interests: living

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:31 pm

The bathrooms are just like at Steamboat. We like the state park over Mardon for the size of the spaces. At Mardon you can dock your boat and the store is right there. There are other camping grounds/RV parks right in the area. I don't know about them but there is one accross from the state park and a small one I see on the same side of the road as the state park. There are several boat launchs on the lake that are WDFW.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:38 pm

the state campgrounds are nice... full hookups for Rv's electric,water and sewer... the bathrooms are in the middle of the rv area... there are separate single bathrooms and showers for handicapped... they take excellent care of the whole area... was not to happy about the cost ... but what can you do??? there is a rv campground on the other side of main road and it now has a small golf course... it is mostly permanent trailers... there is another campground that is public just down the road before Mardons and it is rustic... no services... Mardon's your packed in there like sardines!!!!

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:40 pm

One is O'sullivan's Sportsmans resort (it has or is next to the Golf course) and Last resort RV park is accross the street. 6 or 8 miles east on 262 is Warden lake resort.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 am

If you camp out like I do at Steamboat its hard to find that nice of facilities.Look under camping under Wa state parks or national parks. All campsites are listed.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:07 pm

racfish wrote:If you camp out like I do at Steamboat its hard to find that nice of facilities.Look under camping under Wa state parks or national parks. All campsites are listed.
How do you camp at Steamboat?

We typical use the tent sites. But with the boat, we started using the RV for the power to charge batteries, while in a tent.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 am

Steamboat Rock has a beautiful camping area. Dock tie up for boats. A nice launch,clean restrooms. I drove by once last year and didnt stay. They fill up very fast. I find that even though a campsite is full if you check in they get lots of cancellations.

clamdigger
Angler

Post by clamdigger » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:53 pm

O'Sullivan's Sportsmans Resort is one of the nicest campground in the state! We have stayed there numerous times, sometimes as much as two weeks at a time. Large sites with very well kept, irrigated grass. Great managers, fully stocked store just a few steps outside of the resort. Not ever crowded like Mar-Dons. Highly recommended!

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:27 pm

clamdigger wrote:O'Sullivan's Sportsmans Resort is one of the nicest campground in the state! We have stayed there numerous times, sometimes as much as two weeks at a time. Large sites with very well kept, irrigated grass. Great managers, fully stocked store just a few steps outside of the resort. Not ever crowded like Mar-Dons. Highly recommended!
Interesting. It will probably come down between them and the state park then.

Too bad their website sucks and doesn't provide much info. Not sure I understand their whole "membership" bs either.

Ranahan
Angler

Post by Ranahan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 pm

We stayed at the State Park the first week in August. Not sure I'll do it again soon. We got there on Wed afternoon. We tent camp but went with the RV site for the power and water. You can't set up on the grass until Friday due to watering the grass Monday through Thursday. That includes having to move everything from the picnic table every night so it doesnt get wet. During the day the hornets were worse than mosquitos. Actually I don't remember there being any mosquitoes. I think the hornets ran them off. We set up 5 traps and caught hundreds of bees a day and it still didnt keep them away from us or food. Oh, we didnt catch any fish to brag about either.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Oh, that sucks.

So they don't have a tent pad on the RV sites?

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:45 am

The wife and i hit Steamboat rock park late in Sept... had a good time ... Fishing was alright...
State campgrounds are now first come, first served basis's between Sept 15 and May 15... I like this idea...

tent camping shouldn't be that hard there, most of the Rv sites have tent pads...the state website list what the spots have for amities... and the sprinkler system never even came close to our picnic table... We were able to get a spot where i could beach the boat and was able to run a extension cord all the way to the boat to plug in the onboard charger...

it was nicer then i thought it was gonna be... just a little windy at times... actually got blown off the water on 2 of the afternoon trips out...

We also checked out the other camping areas around Banks... Coulee playland resort,,,no space... they pack you in pretty tight...but they have a nice launch and mooring...
Sunbanks resort... well kinda nice but once again they pack you in pretty tight in the areas that are good enough to camp in...(hilly terrain) Rv spots aren't all that level...

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Where did you end up going? We are switching it up this year and were going to do our group trip to potholes, probably in early June. We typically try and get a group site to ourselves to be away from the masses. 2 boats, travel trailer and 3-4 tents.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Fri May 02, 2014 12:18 am

Mossy wrote:Where did you end up going? We are switching it up this year and were going to do our group trip to potholes, probably in early June. We typically try and get a group site to ourselves to be away from the masses. 2 boats, travel trailer and 3-4 tents.
Hi Mossy, I just booked my trip to the Potholes State Park. I wonder if we'll see each other......Timing is very close.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Fri May 02, 2014 8:25 pm

headed to Potholes March 12th for a week... staying at the state campground gonna be roughing it at the primitive sites...

rupes
Angler

Post by rupes » Fri May 02, 2014 9:31 pm

How was your stay at the state park? I am thinking of heading up this month.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Fri May 02, 2014 9:39 pm

needs2hunt wrote:headed to Potholes March 12th for a week... staying at the state campground gonna be roughing it at the primitive sites...
You mean May?