Camping and trout fishing in Western WA June 2915

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
Jaarhaus
Angler

Camping and trout fishing in Western WA June 2915

Post by Jaarhaus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:51 am

Where is a good place to camp and fish for trout this weekend at one of the passes or in Western Washington? I have a raft with a trolling motor. Thank you.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Re: Camping and trout fishing in Western WA June 2915

Post by drysuperfly52 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:25 am

north or south sound? drainage (oe seepage??) lake by baker lake is usually a good bet
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:28 am

Jaarhaus wrote:Where is a good place to camp and fish for trout this weekend at one of the passes or in Western Washington? I have a raft with a trolling motor. Thank you.
Depending on the size of your raft. Consider Lake Shannon. Boat in camping up the lake. Pristine deep woods environment. Catch and release dollies.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Boat Camping on Shannon?

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:52 am

Hi Quad. I'm still trying to figure out where there is boat camping on Shannon. Is it a pick your own area near a cove rather than a designated campground? Would prefer to camp in one of the many coves on the west side of the lake. Are you allowed to leave your vehicle at the launch overnight? Probably pretty risky to do that. Specifics would be great. Thank you! =D>
Bobber_Dogger

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Boat Camping on Shannon?

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Bobber_Dogging_Gal wrote:Hi Quad. I'm still trying to figure out where there is boat camping on Shannon. Is it a pick your own area near a cove rather than a designated campground? Would prefer to camp in one of the many coves on the west side of the lake. Are you allowed to leave your vehicle at the launch overnight? Probably pretty risky to do that. Specifics would be great. Thank you! =D>
I have to say there is prob not a issue of getting any ticket for leaving your vehicle at the launch. I say that because another WALAKES member boat camped, and left his trailer.
The boat-in camping that I spoke of is not any kind of official campground. It was just running your boat up the lake until you saw a place to pull out.
I am on a cell phone, so can't say which side of the lake is West or East, etc. but... From the launch go out to center of lake and then head to the right. This is Up-lake. It will become a narrow channel. Obviously it is a dammed river.
At some point we found a cool place on the left side of that channel, that someone had mounted an iron bbq-grill, like you find at a city park.
There was a cove on the right hand side of the channel. Somebody had built a serious camp at that cove.

All you need to do is pack your boat, and head up the lake. Don't leave ANYTHING in your vehicle, etc.
The camping is the easy part.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Boat Camping on Lake Shannon June & July

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:42 am

Thank you for the input Quad. It sounds more feasible to have someone drop us (and the boat) off at the launch so no vehicle is left at the launch overnight while camping. I wouldn't want to risk leaving a vehicle unattended for several reasons. From the launch, I keep picturing some of the coves WSW of the launch just a ways up from the lower Shannon dam. Straight across from where bank fishermen used to gather by the lower dam before PSE put in a platform and fenced it off. We're still trying to put a small group together for the outing. Preferably when the heat wave has passed. Any responsible fishermen interested in being part of that and has their own boat and supplies, just give us a holler. We'll probably hit the Skagit and/or Cascade river too. :fish: [thumbup]
Bobber_Dogger

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:26 am

Make sure you read my report from last week.
I wouldn't even go up there until the water rises.
You would have to boat up the channel as far as you could before getting stuck... And then hike the rest of the way to the upper pool below upper dam. Water is WAY milky, poor visibility, and even poorer fishing.