Columbia River camping?

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
jimmy jazz
Angler

Columbia River camping?

Post by jimmy jazz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:07 pm

I was wondering about camping and fishing on the Columbia River. I know it's some of the best bass fishing in the northwest. Where is the best places to camp? Do I need a special permit from the power company's in some places? Also when's the best time to go?

Thank you.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Columbia River camping?

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:04 am

Where on the Columbia? The river is about a million miles long :)

You could start by looking at the Wa and Or state park sites.

NorseNW
Petty Officer

Post by NorseNW » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:12 pm

Yup pretty big swath of water to explore for sure. I've found google maps is your friend. Pick an area you think you want to try. "Fly" by mouse up and down the shoreline and it's pretty easy to pick out the campgrounds, launches, marinas, etc. Some have a name right on them others you just google the nearest city. Once you narrow it down you can ask on here or google for reviews to better your chances of finding what you wanted.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:31 am

I too, would like to find an affordable place for our camper van group to stay. I've never fished the lower Columbia for sturgeon. Any advice where to camp or fish (that isn't Grand Central) appreciated. We're north in the toolies *lol* :-({|=
Bobber_Dogger

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:23 pm

Bobber_Dogging_Gal wrote:I too, would like to find an affordable place for our camper van group to stay. I've never fished the lower Columbia for sturgeon. Any advice where to camp or fish (that isn't Grand Central) appreciated. We're north in the toolies *lol* :-({|=
ive heard ofpeople just parking in the parking lots n sleeping in trailers... tho i just sturgeon fish up north.. good fishing n can just go home after

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:50 am

You mean stealth camping at places like Walmart? I'd rather not to be a Wal-Martyr if there's safe affordable camping near by. Public or private property camping. We are a responsible van campers group. Self-sufficient, no drama. You mentioned sturgeon fishing up north ie, general location? Any suggestions on fishing and camping appreciated. Thanks =D>
Last edited by Bobber_Dogging_Gal on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobber_Dogger

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:24 am

When we fished for sturgeon out of Astoria or Hammond or Warrenton, we camped at Fort Stevens State Park. It was pretty nice back 15 years ago. All of our trips in the Portland area were day trips with no camping. When we went up near the Bonneville Dam we stayed at one of the private resort/campgrounds on the Oregon side. I forget which one but it was just 3 or 4 miles west of the dam. There is also a campground on the Wa side just west of the dam but Ive never stayed there.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:38 am

Thank you Larry. I welcome any suggestions for safe camping and places to fish along the lower Columbia for our group :salut: .
Bobber_Dogger

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:12 pm

Bobber_Dogging_Gal wrote:You mean stealth camping at places like Walmart? I'd rather not to be a Wal-Martyr if there's safe affordable camping near by. Public or private property camping. We are a responsible van campers group. Self-sufficient, no drama. You mentioned sturgeon fishing up north ie, general location? Any suggestions on fishing and camping appreciated. Thanks =D>
we just always camped in the river acess lots.. and as far as up here think the 3 "s" rivers and the salt right out from their mouths... pm me n i may be coaxed into divulging a little info on actual spots n all that