LOOKING FOR DRIVE IN CAMPING LAKES WITHIN 3 HRS OF KING CO.

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
Dave M
Warrant Officer

LOOKING FOR DRIVE IN CAMPING LAKES WITHIN 3 HRS OF KING CO.

Post by Dave M » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:20 pm

Considering Takhlakh Lake or steamboat lake. Both have campgrounds. Anyone know anything about them? Or have any suggestions for other lakes? Wife wants to camp, not hike like I would normally do.

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Re: LOOKING FOR DRIVE IN CAMPING LAKES WITHIN 3 HRS OF KING

Post by GoingtoFish » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Alta lake State campground near Pataros (Warning, rattlesnakes) and Bridgeport State park on Rufus Woods Lake. These are great for fishing from shore or in a boat. Might be a bit further than 3 hours from Seattle. These parks are in Eastern Washington.
Up north of Seattle. Deception Pass state park has Cranberry lake in the park. Good for shore or boat fishing and great hiking in the area. And as an added plus Pass lake is only 10 minutes away. It is a CNR fly fishing only lake with some big bows and browns.
Baker Lake is always great. It is remote with Free drive in camping in some spots (if you can find one) or there are a few camp grounds there too. Shore fishing is a bit tougher but if you have a boat you can get bows anywere and even search out some nice Kokanee. And great hiking as well.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:44 am

Thanks, might look into the eastern lakes, snakes make a good snack.
Found out the road to takhlakh is washed out in several spots so that is probably off the list this year.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Steamboat is about 3.5 hours for you. Great clean facilities. They spray for mosquitos, so it's not too bad there. Lots of ants, birds and other wildlife. You can fish, and hike or just chill at the campground. There's lots of places to beach and have a picnic out on the water too. My understanding is, the campground is packed during summer though. So check the reservation website to see what it looks like.

Potholes. Should be about 2-3 hours IIRC. Clean campground. Facilities isn't as clean as Steamboat though, but good enough. Has a nice convenant store across the street from the state park.

I've stayed at the Bridgeport State Park too. It's not bad. Small community. Just realize, if you fish on that side of the "lake", you'll need a tribal license too. At least you use to. Maybe it's changed now. You can always cross the dam and fish on the Chief Joseph side. Caught plenty of fish there.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:36 pm

Depending upon what kind of camping your wife is comfortable with, Lake Kachess and Lake Cle Elum are both close and offer dry camping. Down South, Silver lake, in Cowlitz county, offers a couple of more cushy camping options and a great warm water fishery.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks guys. She is up for camping with just a few requirements, sleeping pad or air mattress, and an oversized sleeping bag. Of course will need at the least mostly clean restrooms, showers a bonus, thought she will live for a night or two without. In the end we will probably end up out on the coast somewhere with no trout for me.

odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Post by odddoylerules » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Kalaloch creek has given up good fish for me, and as a kid I hooked a big ol cutthroat just off the beach in the shadow of the lodge....pretty sure u arent supposed to fish there but I was like 10.

Upriver I've caught Brook trout and rainbows where it's open outside the park. It's a better cabin experience than camping experience since sunset magazine features it constantly and it's loaded up even midweek.

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:16 am

Reports are the fishing's been great at Baker plus there's several campgrounds and a resort.