Cutthroat Trout

Post and find fish ID pictures/descriptions here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Cutthroat Trout

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 am

General description: Coastal cutthroat trout are silver, brassy, or yellowish in color and have small densely packed irregularly shaped dark brown or black spots on their body, head, and fins. Juvenile coastal cutthroat trout range in size from 1 to 6 inches and have about 10 oval parr marks overlaid with small black spots and may have a faint red or pink coloration along the lateral line and possibly on the gill covers. Typically the distinguishing cutthroat “cut-slash” is present on Alaskan coastal cutthroat trout as a red or orange band of color on the underside of the lower jaw in the skin folds. However, not all coastal cutthroat trout have a distinct slash, especially the silver colored sea-run fish which have just returned to freshwater where the slash may be present but inconspicuous. Coastal cutthroat trout can spawn with rainbow trout and produce fertile hybrids with physical characteristics of both (i.e., cutthroat slash and pink/red color band along the lateral line). Biologists often use the presence of small teeth at the base of the tongue called basibranchial teeth as a means to distinguish between rainbow trout (teeth absent) coastal cutthroat trout (teeth present). However, the presence or absence of basibranchial teeth is not a 100% accurate means of positively distinguishing all coastal cutthroat trout from all rainbow trout and this distinguishing trait may be further complicated in the presence of hybrid trout. Coastal cutthroat trout, like other species of trout, reportedly have the ability to change the size, shape, and distribution of spots in relationship to the environment they live in.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/notebo ... Etrout.php
Attachments
Skagit_River_Cutthroat_1.JPG
Skagit_River_Cutthroat_1.JPG (250.46 KiB) Viewed 29990 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Cutthroat Trout

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Just as an FYI. To me the best of the best tasting trout are Cutthroat. I like them over steelies.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Smalma
Warrant Officer

RE:Cutthroat Trout

Post by Smalma » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:52 am

The coastal cutthroat is Western Washington native cutthroat is found in most lowland creeks and rivers. As well as many beaver ponds and lakes. They also often have a anadromous life history (sea-runs). They are a relativley short lived trout rarely reaching more than 8 or 9 years of age. The largest individuals are typically found in lakes where in large waters with an abundance forage they may exceed 10 pounds. The sea-runs are not nearly as fast growing with fish in excess of 20 inches true trophies that are at the end of the species life span.

In tributary streams with both coastal cutthroat and steelhead it is not unusually to see hybrids between the two species in the young parr. Though it is much rarer to see those hybrids in adult fish.

BTW -
The fish pictured in the first post is not a coastal cutthroat, it is an inter-mountian/westslope cutthroat.

Tight lines
Curt

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Cutthroat Trout

Post by Toni » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm

I was told that to really tell a cutt from a bow the look at the eye and jaw line. I know that the top fish had a orange slash under the jaw and the bottom didn't so I call it a hatchery rainbow. Now I am not sure how to tell one cutt from another but this one was caught in American Lake so it is probably a coastal cutthroat.
Attachments
another line bow and trout.jpg
another line bow and trout.jpg (112 KiB) Viewed 28960 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

dea
Petty Officer

Re: Cutthroat Trout

Post by dea » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 am

I love tech talk.