Are these really all Rainbow Trout?

Post and find fish ID pictures/descriptions here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ONCOfisher
Angler

Are these really all Rainbow Trout?

Post by ONCOfisher » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:04 am

IMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG
So on Thursday I caught 3 of what I thought were Rainbow trout from Lake Tye up in Monroe, and then today I fished at Beaver Lake and caught one more smaller Rainbow.

After I put them all next to each other I realized that they really don't all look the same. The flesh color is also obviously different too. Does anybody know why this may be? Are these all really Rainbow trout? Or does Lake Tye stock Triploid trout which makes the genetics slightly different and therefore their flesh tone different too?

I was a bit quick to getting to clean them, but in the pics you can see that the Rainbow from Beaver Lake is much darker in color. The three from Lake Tye however have a darker flesh tone - almost like Kokanee but their physical characteristics don't jive either.

I'd love to hear what you all think/know. I am totally scratching my head at this one.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Are these really all Rainbow Trout?

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:16 am

fishing regs;

pages 87, 98, 100, 127.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and;

http://wdfw.wa.gov/searchresults.html?c ... tification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wdfw.wa.gov/searchresults.html?c ... gsc.page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

AlexanderS
Petty Officer

Post by AlexanderS » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:36 pm

I think you may have caught a hatchery steelhead.They were planted last year when they made the limit 10 fish,same with Greenlake,there som big ones in Tye,on one of my early reports I caught a 24 inch trout at the,you can see the pictures:)

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:26 pm

I too have seen extreme variation in external and internal coloration of fish, from the same small lake though... (lake 12)
I used to fugure that the pale meat fish were freshly stocked, and redder meat fish were born in, or had been in the lake for a while. But i noticed the same variance in several 2-3+ lb holdover rainbows from the same lake. The stockers that they have putting in the lake have been less than .5 lbs each, as far as I know, so they had been in the same lake together for at least a year.

?????
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

ONCOfisher
Angler

Post by ONCOfisher » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

good to know! They're definitely good fighters and taste really good too.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:44 am

Tye has steelhead planted. Some of them this past fall and others the previous fall