Going to Wallowa Lake...any advice?

Talk about Lake Fishing in Oregon
coretron22
Warrant Officer

Going to Wallowa Lake...any advice?

Post by coretron22 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 pm

My wife's family reunion just happens to be at Wallowa Lake in Ore. this year. That means I'll be fishing alot:-" . Anyone been there that has some advice for shore fishing? Anyone rented a boat there, and is it worth it?
I'll also have access to Wallowa River.

I have to admit, the idea of World Record sized Kokanee has my interest piqued, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get a boat and go trolling for 'em.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Going to Wallowa Lake...any advice?

Post by Toni » Mon May 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Well, I think,What an oppertunity! But I am a koke head. :)
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:10 pm

The deer are VERY friendly there...

I didnt catch anything last time I was there so advice on that, sorry

coretron22
Warrant Officer

Post by coretron22 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:31 pm

rl206 wrote:I didnt catch anything last time I was there so advice on that, sorry
Skunked? really? I hope that doesn't happen. My luck has been crappy lately, I'm hoping I can at least get some dinks for fun...

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:47 pm

I am from Joseph. Used to fish the lake all the time, usually off the back of my horse. :bounce:

At the head of the lake where the campgrounds are located, there is a boat rental place. The office staff will be able to tell you where the hot spots are. If the lake is flooded then if you fish close the road where you came in, you can find some hotspots.

Also deep, toward the middle of lake you can find great spots. But again, the staff will be able to direct you to good spots.

I think it'd be worth the boat rental. Just to be out fishing on the lake looking at the scenery is worth the boat price. Plus, your fishing, so what could be better?!

The foot of the lake was never good luck for me fishing but that could have changed, I haven't been there for awhile. :-(
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

klonyjoe
Angler

Post by klonyjoe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:38 pm

I was there last year and my twin granddaughters caught 2 each off the shore near the road coming in.
We used a slide sinker and #8 hook with an egg and marshmallow to keep it off The bottom.
They rent boats. with or without motors. The ones on the boats seem to be using the same bait.
I also used my belly tube and caught several on a sink tip wit a woolly bugger.
Good luck. Carl

coretron22
Warrant Officer

Post by coretron22 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for the input, but I already went (early July)...The river was flowing really hard, to the point that the state park picnic tables were getting significant water flowing under them. That made it impossible to attack the river inlet, which is where I wanted to be.

Didn't get a boat, because noone wanted to fish with me, and it was more about reuniting with people than fishing...I went where the other bankies were, typically on the W side of the Marina along the rocks. The guy @ the Marina said bobber/worm or bobber/powerbait was what worked...5 guys using that setup were catching nothing, so I started throwing selective gear spinners and spoons. I outfished everyone 5-1 and they still stuck with the bobbers...?
Anyway, several dink planters and a large sucker were what I got from shore...rapelling down the cliffs along the hiway was yielding fish for some, but I was not ambitious enough to make the descent.

My annual trip to Ross Lake was the next weekend, so I wasn't too desperate for fish. Ross Lake is the lake I know best...:bigsmurf: