NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
bt
Angler

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Post by bt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi

I grew up fishing in Montana, pretty much just dry and nymph on rivers I could wade and walk in for miles. My experience is really limited to hunting bows and browns in rivers and streams. Haven't spent much time fishing lakes or for any other kind of fish.....yet!

Now I live in Vancouver, Washington.

Is there ANY trout fishing in rivers that don't require a boat or tube within 2 hours or so of Vancouver?

Looking forward to expanding my fishing experiences....but in my eyes, nothing beats working to shoot a dry on that perfect riffle while standing thigh deep in a river, watching that fly ride the current, seeing that flash, and nailing the set. Sounds like steelhead might be what I need to learn first....

Thanks!

bt

OlyWaTJ
Angler

Post by OlyWaTJ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:37 am

Brian
OIympia, WA
Volunteer for Search & Rescue, member for Thurston County Sheriff Jeep Patrol, Line Coach for my son's football team
I'm a Sr. Network Architect with a focus on WiFi and Unified Communications, Cisco/Juniper/Ruckus
I used to catch Kings out of Fish Trap in the sound 30 years ago from the shore using a buzz bomb, great times. Lately I've been teaching my 13yr old how to catch Rainbow's at Ward Lake, we have the shore casting down but have been skunked using a friends boat. Need to figure out what to use for trolling and how to best fish off a boat in the lake around Thurston County, which is one of the reasons I signed up for this forum to learn and maybe find a local club.
I've been fishing off and on since the mid-80s
My Dad and uncles introduced me to fishing, started off catching bullhead out in Boston Harbor/Zangle Cove area then we filleted the bullhead tails to use for trolling for trout in the sound.
When I'm not fishing I'm normally working on my Jeep or volunteering.
Favorite picture this year is when we forgot a bag or a bucket to take our rainbows home in so I just tied the stringer to the window of my Jeep for the short 2 mile drive home. [woot]
Attachments
Jeep Trout.jpg

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:39 am

Devin
Spokane
I'm the Distribution Lead (Warehouse Supervisor) at Servatron Inc
Grew up bass fishing the Coeur d'Alene chain lakes a lot. Also caught lots of Pike/Crappie. We would occasionally hit Hayden and Long Lake, but Anderson Lake was our spot. Have also trout fished the Tucannon lakes (Spring/Watson/Rainbow/Curl) a lot through the years, and before it got all messed up we had a yearly family campout at Pampa Pond near St. John.

My dad and uncle were hardcore bass fishermen, each had a bass boat and we went out basically every weekend in May/June for years. Then my uncle switched to trout fishing mostly, and then my dad packed it in and basically just golfs now. I bought his boat but ended up selling it after a couple years. Now I've got a 3 year old son who is wanting to fish so I've brought out all the old poles, restocked the tackle box (it's amazing how much a spinnerbait will disintegrate after so many years...) and am checking out some spots around Spokane. Finding this site was great!

Other hobbies include camping and tinkering with 80's/early 90's turbo Dodge/Chryslers.
Attachments
Dev_4.11.JPG
From 2008 with my dad at Anderson
D&N Trout 6-20.jpg
Fathers day 2015 at West Medical

Isaac27
Angler

Post by Isaac27 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:01 am

My name is Isaac Peters, my wife's name is Sarah and our daughter's name is Iliana. We have a golden retriever named lacey zoe too. I'm 25, Sarah is 23, Iliana is 1, Lacey zoe is 3. We live in Lacey/Olympia. My hobbies are: fishing, shooting guns, building semi custom AR 15's and going on long drives with my family. I'm in the U.S. Army, and my wife and I are both from Michigan (the outdoorsman's paradise). I'm a freshwater fisherman, I'm fishing for whatever's biting. I learned to fish from my grandpa around the age of 4 and have been fishing ever since. I fish around Thurston and Lewis counties the most. When I'm not fishing or spending time with my family , I'm working.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:32 am

Welcome to Norwst Fishing Reports.

What part of Mi.? I was born in Mi. we moved to southern Ca. when I was 10. I fished all the time in Mi. Really ticked me off that in Ca there was no place to walk to, or ride the bike to, so I could go fishing. Then when I was 16 we moved to n Ca and I could go fishing again.
Tom.

Interests: living

bkinney
Angler

Post by bkinney » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:45 am

Brent
Poulsbo

Been fishing all my life. My father is a bass fanatic in Southern Oregon.

I will fish for anything that is in the water. My family and I recently moved to the area from Pennsylvania/NJ and spent the last 12 years there fishing the trophy trout waters, but really love bass fishing the most.

I do not have a boat yet, but looking for something that could be used for lake fishing and out in the sound(on calm days). PM me if you need someone to take up a back seat and split some costs.

megacabcummins
Petty Officer

Post by megacabcummins » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:29 am

(figured since I have a few posts I better get this done)

Hello my name is Pat,

I grew up in Skagit county (my family has the fish farm in Big Lake), and have lived in Marysville for the last 6 years. Still learning how to fish, so I have more non productive days than not lol , but it's getting better. I mostly fish in Snohomish and Skagit counties, and fish from the bank, no boat yet. Hopefully in the next couple years I'll pull the trigger on a Wooldridge. Aside from fishing, I work at Boeing, do a lot of gardening, and belong to NW Overland.

chumscrubber
Angler

Post by chumscrubber » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:50 am

Hi my name is Rob im 38 i live in seattle, im originaly from Quilcene .grew up fishing the lakes and streams on the OP around quil and brinnon. in 95 i moved to seattle got a job w a large grocery retailer. love to fish and hunt..I fish saltwater and freshwatter lakes ,rivers creeks ponds mostly in western wa. i have a small john boat that i fish from but bank fish a lot as well.
My favorite fish to chase would have to be steelhead ,with silver salmon a close second,
I fish the sky and green alot,lake ham sammich and lake washington,Beaver is good. i hit beaver hard( especialy during the colder months)......this year im going to try and fish more places ive never been to ,its fun going to a lake youve never been to and solve its puzzle......or at least try. anyway thats it for me ,if theres any other fellow Quilbillies on this site ['howdy boys'!!] good luck everyone and remember ...its not how deep you fish ,,its how you wiggle your worm.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Welcome All!

Looking forward to any reports and information you'd like to share with the Group.

:salut:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

tylermaster195
Petty Officer

Post by tylermaster195 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:41 am

Hello Northwest Fishing reports!

My name is Tyler Ricci I am 21 years old and I live out in Maltby which is not bad place to live if you like to fish. Obviously fishing is one of my top hobbies. But other than that I am a novice hunter and love to camp! I am currently a field computer technician who works on boat simulators for maritime colleges. But will be switching careers soon and will become an apprentice electrician.

Currently my favorite species are perch and trout. Perch fishing for me has always been fun and easy. Currently trout have been my challenge, especially fishing on lake Washington and Sammamish. So I am always looking for tips. I just bought a 1985 17' arima sea chaser and really want to start salmon fishing but have no one to learn from. When I was 8 I started fishing at banks lake for my first time with just a red shimano, bobber and worm. Between that and when I started to drive I hadn't fished much. Once I got my license I got the bug again and started fishing. for the last two years I have really just gotten started on my fishing adventures Looking forward to reading all of what you guys have to say and can't wait to learn for everyone's experience!

Happy Fishing!
Tyler Ricci

asmith
Angler

Post by asmith » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Hello all, name is Aaron. I'm 35, married with 3 kids. Been lurking on this site for awhile and figured it was time to join up. I have lived in Washington for about 4.5 years now. Moved up from Northern Nevada. Currently live in Davenport. Have always been a land-lubber till I moved here and realized it was time to get a boat. Purchased a 2016 Starweld 20 with a 150 merc and an 80lb I-pilot the other month and have been having a blast in it so far. The family loves it. Still yet to see any blood on it, but hopefully that will change soon. I don't know how to fish/troll so I am learning each time I go out and having a blast just learning. Being that I am still new to Washington, I am always looking for new people to meet and do some fishing and learning around my area. Right now im concentrating on Roosevelt and Banks lakes, but will expand my area as I learn what I am doing.

Looking forward to reading and learning from everyone on here, and maybe even meeting some fishing buddies.
:fish: Bent rods and tight lines all :fish:

The family on our very first trip on our new boat!
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:30 am

Welcome! This is a good reminder to the new members to invite you to join us at Lake Chelan April 30th for our community Potluck Get-Together. It's a great opportunity to meet and make new NWFR friends.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

HOG
Angler

Post by HOG » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Just joined in here, I used HOG, a nickname I got here in Colorado, it stands for Head Old Guy. Will be in Olympia July 4th for a family reunion. I went to junior high one year in Olympia, and picked up fly fishing back then. To tell the truth, I got pretty sick of catching trout LOL. I live in Centennial Colorado, and have gotten spoiled with good Walleye fishing very close to where I live. The Kokanne salmon we have here is kind of a hit and miss thing, Not like Salmon there in Washington. Still wondering around this forum sight but starting to get the hang of it. Been retired for 13 years, if you can call it that. Will be checking with the relatives when I get there. Pretty sure I can use a rod and reel, and not have to pack my own along. Will be lurking from now till time to get on the plane.

*¿* Bud.

Hendo1975
Angler

Post by Hendo1975 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:38 am

Hi folks,
my name is Hendrik I´m from Munic Germany.
I´m 40 years old, my wife, my two sons (6 and 3) and me moved from Germany to Bellevue (WA) last September.
In Germany my hobbies were fishing on my small boat, mountainbiking, more fishing....
I brought all my stuff here, but most of it is still packed, sad but true......
I would love to get back to fishing especially in this fantastic and beautiful region here, it's just a blast for me!!
But I don´t know where to start here, so much water here I'm overwhelmed.....

always tight lines
I'm looking forward to get back on the water.

Hendrik

PS. If somebody needs a fishing buddy with no fishing experience in this region, just let me know O:) O:)

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:49 pm

Hello Hendrick! Welcome to the USA!

Id suggest you check the Latest Reports section regularly. Thats the button at the top left of the main page. That will give you an idea of whats going on in the different areas at different times of the year. You will find links in the reports that take you to maps of the lakes or rivers or ocean areas in the report as well as tons of other information.

You have found the forums obviously. Lots of information in here as well. Feel free to post in any of the threads if you have questions or start one of your own. Plenty of helpful people hang out around here who love giving advice :)

I would recommend you go to the WDFW website and download the latest regulations. Our fishing is heavily regulated. This year it's been a bit wilder than most years with a lot of new and changing regulations and seasons - mostly to do with salmon but also many other species. Rules have literally been changing on a daily basis in some areas, so its important to keep up with the changes in the emergency rules section on-line.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before you go fishing the first time, feel free to ask questions to be sure you have it straight.

Good luck!

Oh - please dont judge us all by the political insanity going on at the moment [woot] :nemo: ;)

Hendo1975
Angler

Post by Hendo1975 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello Larry,
thanks for your welcoming words and your helpful info recommendation I really appreciate it. The WDFW regulation pamphlet looks...pretty ahm German....I always thought we Germans are master in over regulating things. But maybe it is necessary to protect the amazing phenomenal variety of creatures here....

I really would appreciate to get the answer to one for me very important and generall question.
Is it still worth to buy a fishing boat to go on the sound and the lakes around Seattle or should I rather be in a chess club...
What I try to ask is, is the sound almost empty or are there still some fish species that are worth and fun to fish for and keep for a nice dinner without going up to Alaska or BC every time you want to do a little fishing for a day?...

Please excuse my English its still a bit bumpy and rusty I´ll improve it I promise...

PS I would never judge you for any political discussion! I´m just happy to be here in this beautiful part of the country and believe me in Germany it´s even worse, fishery regulation wise and national politics wise....

gmbfish
Angler

Post by gmbfish » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Name: Guy Brogdon
Hobbies: Dah, Fishing
What You Do: Retired
Favorite Species To Fish For: Any, All
Where You Fish The Most: Learning the area, most time has been on the Columbia
How Long You Have Been Fishing: Over 50 years
How You Got Introduced To Fishing: Father took me to river and cut switch for me to use, Catfish, Perch, Crappie
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing: Study fishing
Your Favorite Picture: Will post later.

Now, I have a Jetcraft 1925 with Yahama F115 outboard. I am looking for someone that can help me learn the fishing here in Washington and Oregon, fresh and salt water.

gm225419@yahoo.com if you want to contact me.

Thanks,
Guy

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Hendo1975 wrote:Hello Larry,
thanks for your welcoming words and your helpful info recommendation I really appreciate it. The WDFW regulation pamphlet looks...pretty ahm German....I always thought we Germans are master in over regulating things. But maybe it is necessary to protect the amazing phenomenal variety of creatures here....

I really would appreciate to get the answer to one for me very important and generall question.
Is it still worth to buy a fishing boat to go on the sound and the lakes around Seattle or should I rather be in a chess club...
What I try to ask is, is the sound almost empty or are there still some fish species that are worth and fun to fish for and keep for a nice dinner without going up to Alaska or BC every time you want to do a little fishing for a day?...

Please excuse my English its still a bit bumpy and rusty I´ll improve it I promise...

PS I would never judge you for any political discussion! I´m just happy to be here in this beautiful part of the country and believe me in Germany it´s even worse, fishery regulation wise and national politics wise....
Thats a hard question to answer. If you want to fish, a boat is far far better than trying from shore. If you dont get a boat, Id say chess is the way to go :)

As far as the Sound and around Seattle - yes there are still fish out there but it is NOT "the good old days" any more. These days, you really have to work at it and what and where and when and how many is much more limited than it used to be.

This year is especially limited because some of the salmon runs are predicted to be very small plus a major dispute between the state and native tribes has limited our seasons.

It is not a certainty you will catch dinner if you go fishing in the sound or any local lakes. In fact the odds are against you. Id suggest you read the report section and make some notes. Then you can go online to the WDFW website and check the catch reports they post.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look under the creel reports for the area you are interested in. You will find that the catch rates are often pretty low when you look at the number of anglers fishing compared to the number of fish actually caught. Keep in mind that the number of fish "caught" includes fish that had to be released because they were the wrong size or not hatchery fish, etc.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a general rule - fishing for salmon gets better the further north you go in the sound. However, one of the better inside choices isnt far - Possession Bar is at the south end of Whidbey Island and is usually one of the better options. It just closed to salmon fishing though. Also, there are some other good choices in various spots around Whidbey Island.

If you are willing to drive a ways - the Straight of Juan de Fuca and the San Juan Islands and the coast or on the Columbia River all generally have better fishing than inside the Puget Sound.

You can also go for crab and shrimp when they are in season inside the Sound. Crabbing can be pretty good at times. This year seems to be ok so far.

Things like seabass, rock fish and Halibut are pretty much wiped out inside the Sound and Lingcod are getting close to being gone also. Again, the further north and out towards the coast, the better it gets.

Lakes on the West side of the state are similar depending on what you are fishing for. You can generally count on catching some trout or kokanee or bass or pan fish in local lakes - again if you work at it. Also - boats are far better. Most lakes and river areas are heavily developed and there is very limited bank access. We plan one or two trips to the east side of the state or the Columbia river when we want really good fishing, but thats a 4 to 6 hours drive.

I just realized my post sounds very depressing - and it is when you think how great it was just a few years ago. BUT - boating is always better than working - even if you dont bring a fish home :)

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:35 pm

gmbfish wrote:Name: Guy Brogdon
Hobbies: Dah, Fishing
What You Do: Retired
Favorite Species To Fish For: Any, All
Where You Fish The Most: Learning the area, most time has been on the Columbia
How Long You Have Been Fishing: Over 50 years
How You Got Introduced To Fishing: Father took me to river and cut switch for me to use, Catfish, Perch, Crappie
What Do You Do When Your Not Fishing: Study fishing
Your Favorite Picture: Will post later.

Now, I have a Jetcraft 1925 with Yahama F115 outboard. I am looking for someone that can help me learn the fishing here in Washington and Oregon, fresh and salt water.

gm225419@yahoo.com if you want to contact me.

Thanks,
Guy
Hi Guy! Welcome to the forum :) I'll give you the same advice as Hendrick, Read the reports and the forum sections and post questions in the forums as they come up.

You have a big advantage owning a boat. Good luck out there!

curtscustoms
Angler

Post by curtscustoms » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:50 am

Hi everyone. My name is Curtis, new to the site and to Washington . Been fishing for over 30 years, mostly Midwest , trout, bass, catfish, ect. Bought a one man pontoon for the lakes and rivers around here since bank fishing kinda sucks here ](*,) Looking to meet some fellow fishermen to go out and enjoy the sport with, I'm located near lake stevens, snoho cty. No drama here, just love to fish :) I also love atving, hunting, all things outdoor, guess I moved to the right state :cheers: Look forward to meeting you folks and having some fun. So hit me up and lets go fishing :fish: