Pike gillnetting Lake Roosevelt

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
k1500guy
Petty Officer

Pike gillnetting Lake Roosevelt

Post by k1500guy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:14 am

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors ... roosevelt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Pike gillnetting Lake Roosevelt

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:13 am

Well, it looks like they're right about pike increasing in the Columbia system. This statement from the article shows that the prediction myself and several others made back in 2010 or so was also correct. "The Spokane Tribe is being funded by the Northwest Power and Conservation Council". Next stop, BPA where the big money lies.
It looks like they're spending the money they have so far on some valuable information. "We found some pike with 13-inch walleye in their bellies," he said. "They're eating salmonids (trout), too."
Holy mackerel. Can you believe that? I wonder how much it cost them to find out that a pike will eat a walleye or a salmonid (trout). I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that one was a gimmie. Who knows. If they keep spending money and "Studying" the pike, they may even determine that they will eat a, (politically correct term here) "Northern Pike Minnow" or two.

Something to remember. One of the photos posted here, elsewhere on the internet and in the papers was one of several pike lying dead in the Kettle River, on DRY GROUND!! Dead because they were looking for a place to spawn when the water levels dropped. Just like they do every year. That's a sign of how effective their reproduction can and will be curbed in the Columbia system. I'm not saying they won't multiply. I'm just saying that between dying while trying to spawn, being eaten by their siblings and other fish such as walleyes, squaw fish, bass, and any salmonid they might cross paths with, is how their multiplication levels will be controlled. Those along with a management program that would allow larger fish to be released to eat the smaller ones, can help create a "Successful" pike fishery that can be promoted and bring more angling dollars to the states economy, and create a large group of happy fishermen. I think. [wink]
I know, there would be others that would not be happy. Then again, when was the last time you saw "Everyone" happy at the same time.

One more thing. If you thought the 10 million dollars the BPA shelled out for pike suppression in the POR was a lot of money. Wait till you see what they put out for the Columbia. [laugh]

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Re: Pike gillnetting Lake Roosevelt

Post by harleypiker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:29 am

That "bottleneck at Kettle Falls" referred to in the article is a little over a quarter mile wide and 130+ feet deep. That
will take quite a net in that strong current to pinch off the pike.....and kokanee, rainbows, bass, walleye, sturgeon.... Ah, yes, I wonder if they will report how many of those precious reared and planted sturgeon will be reported caught and killed in the nets? "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we seek to deceive". [-X