Lake CDA Pike Fishing for a Newb

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kmatt
Angler

Lake CDA Pike Fishing for a Newb

Post by Kmatt » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 pm

So I caught my first pike a couple weeks ago bass fishing in the Spokane River and it was awesome! It was a little guy, right at 24" and now I've got the bug and have to find a monster! Anyone have any success in the northern end of Lake CDA? Any tips on lures, time of day, location would be appreciated. Thanks!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Lake CDA Pike Fishing for a Newb

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:08 pm

Pike fishing on the north end of Cda Lake can be as good as anywhere on the lake. Blue Creek Bay has a great drop right on the weed line edges and can produce some nice fish. Once you have tried Blue Creek, head over to Beauty Bay. It has some real nice cabbage beds that usually produce a few fish per trip for me. You can spend a whole day fishing these two bays along with Wolf Lodge Bay, or you can head a little south and fish any of the bays on the east side of the lake. The pike are there, you just have to find them. The cooler water temps should have them moving to feed and the action can be excellent from now clear into December. Spinner baits are still producing fish, but as the water cools, slower moving baits like husky jerks, X Raps, spoons, glide baits and soft plastic frogs can really light em up.
Congrats on your new addiction. :)

Kmatt
Angler

Post by Kmatt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for the tip! I tried Cougar Bay today but got skunked. I was pretty much just using spoons in various sizes and colors. I'm busy most of tomorrow but should have a couple hours free in the afternoon maybe I'll head up to Blue Creek Bay and check it out. I've got some shad colored jerks I've caught a few bass on so maybe I'll give those a try. Are any colors better than others? I've been noticing bass have been hitting pumpkins and reds where a few months ago it was anything green. Just wondering if pike get picky about a color too. Thanks again!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:30 am

When throwing jerk baits, I normally use a metallic finish on sunny days and bright colored baits on the cloudy darker conditions. Another way to pick a color is to use a natural colored bait, like a perch pattern or other bait fish pattern in clear water, and brighter colors like the fire tiger when the water is cloudy or stained. The particular color that any species of fish take a liking to can change not only daily but several times during the day. I keep switching things up until I find something they like. When they stop hitting that, I switch up again. Good luck.