Everyone should do it at least once!

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AJ's Dad
Commodore

Everyone should do it at least once!

Post by AJ's Dad » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:01 am

For ever I had said I would not spend the money required to mount a nice fish and hang it on the wall. In 2015 I caught two Northern Pike with the same dimensions, on consecutive trips. Both fish were 45 1/2" and weighed 25 pounds. This year in February I sent photos and ordered a fiberglass reproduction of the released fish, from Lax taxidermy in Wisconsin. The mount showed up on my doorstep last week. I couldn't wait to see it.
When I started to remove the packing peanuts, the first thing I saw was the eye staring back at me. I was so realistic, and I could only imagine how the rest of the fish would look. Photos can not do justice to this thing. It's absolutely amazing to see in person. Rick Lax does great work. His communication during the whole process was lacking. By that I mean I couldn't get many responses to my emails, but he did answer the phone when I called and was plenty helpful. If you decide to have him do a mount, make sure you tell him that you want the mount to look like "Your" fish. A friend had one done and it was beautiful. It just didn't look like his fish. Lax is now in the process of getting him a new fish done. Lax told him to be sure to tell him he wants any further mounts to look like the fish he caught. I assumed that would happen but didn't take any chances. I spoke with him on the phone and told him what I wanted, and he delivered.
Having the mount done was a good decision. Having it done at Lax, was a great decision.
The actual fish was 45 1/2". I had him print the length as 46" on the plaque. I say it's ok to "Round Up" when discussing fish size. [thumbup]
Attachments
Mount.jpg

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Re: Everyone should do it at least once!

Post by harleypiker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 am

Lax did my son's 50 inch tiger muskie and it was an excellent job also. they are highly recommended. I didn't know you had to tell them to make it like the original. that seems like it goes without saying. Good info. I got a 46"x20" tiger at Curlew first week of Sept. Going to Minn third week of Oct. to up my pike count to a more reasonable level.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:21 am

beautiful mount, congrats!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:44 am

Frankly, I have never considered this before. That's probably because I've never caught a fish anywhere near that size! I can only imagine the fight.
Can anyone give a rough estimate of what something like that would run? And if not something that size, roughly for any other size? Thanks.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:41 am

Lax charged $14.95 per inch plus shipping. The plaque it's mounted on was another $150. I ordered mine during their fishing show season and got a 10 percent discount. Total with shipping was $900

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks very much for that quick reply. It's nothing to sneeze at but if you get a fish like that, with plaque and shipping, that seems quite reasonable. Now all I have to do is catch a fish like that! =D>

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:05 am

I remember when I was a kid a caught my PB largemouth of 8 lbs 20 inches in Goodwin. I wanted a mount so I told my parents. My dad told me if I get this one mounted It would be the only one so if I caught a bigger one I couldn't get it done. Here I am 15 years later looking for a largemouth over 8 lbs hahaha. I could get it replicated but I'm still holding out hope! Plus I want my first mount to possibly be a monster salmon. We will see. Thanks for sharing! Beautiful fish and very well done!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:17 am

If you shop around a bit, and aren't super picky about it being 100% accurate, you can save a bundle. I got this one for my brother after he caught the worlds smallest pike on his first attempt at pike fishing. True, it doesnt look much like his pike, but he really appreciated the thought and the effort that I went to in getting him the trophy.....especially the singing part. He really appreciates me as a good brother. I may even be his favorite bro.......... [woot]

His pike....
0518161556.jpg
His trophy....
691-600x400.jpg