Ideas for changes to the "Research" and Reports section.

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
Larry3215
Admiral

Ideas for changes to the "Research" and Reports section.

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:52 am

I am finding using the Research function a bit frustrating. Maybe Im the odd man out, but here is how I would like to see it.

When I want to research a lake or a section of the Columbia or a Marine area, there are three different things I want to know.

1) Where exactly is that lake/marine area/river section? If Im not familiar with it, or dont remember where it is off the top of my head, or cant remember which one of the 23 "clear lakes" it is, I want to be able to see it on a map so I can get an idea of how far away it is and where exactly its at.

2) Fishing reports for that area.

3) Hot Spots, heat maps, depth maps, times of year, etc - all the other technical/data details.

Right now, when I click on Lake Index for example, I dont get an alphabetical list of lakes like we used to get. Its some oddly sorted list of reports in no obvious order. I can sort by Area, but that takes several more clicks and sorts/searches/typing to actually get to a specific lake if its not on the first page.

Then, once I finally do get to the info for that specific lake or area I am looking for, there is no map showing where that lake or area is and no link to Hot Spots, heat maps etc. Its just a list of reports.

When you go to a specific report, there is also no link to a map or hotspots etc. unless that report just happens to have a Hot Spot.

I would find it much more useful if when you went to do some Research, you were given a list of Lakes or river areas or marine areas so you can easily find/pick which one you are looking for directly.

Then once you get that specific lake etc, have links on that page - all in one place - for location map, Hotspots, fishing reports, depth maps etc.

Then in every Fishing Report, have a link to the Info Page for that lake or area so you could quickly see where that report is from, find all the hotspots, see other data and other reports with a single click - all from one page.

It would save a lot of time/frustration and clicking/typing/searching for the info.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Re: Ideas for changes to the "Research" and Reports section.

Post by Aaron » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 am

1) You got me. We don't have a map link to the area. I can add that.

2) There is a fishing report link for every item in that list entitled "Reports (xxx)". Click on it.

3) There is a hot spots link for every item in that list entitled "View (xxx)" under the HotSpots column. Click on it.

4) The text on the page clearly states: "The initial sort order has been set to show you the most recently updated areas." Without utilizing some kind of ESP, we're very unlikely to have the area you're looking for on the front page of the initial results without some clicking and refining your search.

5) There is an Info link for every item in that list entitled "Info". Click on it. It will take you to a page with all of the items you've requested, minus the google map.

6) Correct. When there are no HotSpots available for a report, there is no map or links to HotSpots.

7) I don't know how many more tools I can give you to find the area you're looking to research. The initial list is every single area in the Type of area you're looking for. You're going to have to refine things at some point. Use the Alphabetical filter. Type the area name. At least know the state or county.

8) When you do find the area you're looking for, the Info page has links to the reports, hotspots, heat maps, depth maps, historical data, and photos.

9) A link to the Info page from each report. I can do that.

10) Take away from this is: Add Google Map to Info page. Add link to Info page to reports.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Sorry Aaron, I didnt mean that to come across quite as critical sounding as it did!

Ok, Im an idiot - it never occurred to me to try the ABCDEF buttons to sort the list and I obviously didnt read your sort order note - my bad!

Im finally realizing that your idea of a Lake Index isnt quite what mine is. You seem to be looking at it more as a report sorting option while I was expecting a Lake Index to be an index/list of lakes you could then search for reports and other info on. Thats fine now that you have pointed out my misunderstanding and how to get where I want to go.

Thanks!

However, I still dont see a link to the HotSpots for any given lake once I get to that lakes Info page? Am I still blind or do I need to go back to the previous 'Index' page to look at hot spots for that lake?

So just to clarify what I am asking for:

1) as you said - a link to a map showing location on the Info page for Lakes, rivers, etc.
2) a link to Hot Spots for that area on the Info page
3) a link to the Info page for that area from within every fishing report

If those last two are already there, then Im still blind and could use some more help :)

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:19 pm

It would be nice to be able to select multiple species and multiple fishing types for Reports. I guess being able to select more than one button? Thanks.