Washington State Newbie

Looking for a spontanious fishing partner? Got a quick trip open seat/share a ride available? Post it here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
CincyMatt
Petty Officer

Washington State Newbie

Post by CincyMatt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi,
I am moving near Ellensburg in late March from Cincinnati, Ohio. I have done plenty of fishing here, but have never caught a trout or salmon in my life. i would very much love to! I would love to find someone who could share some tips, or go out on the water with me at some point. I am friendly, safe, and would pay my own way. I would love to find a fishing buddy in Washington State.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Washington State Newbie

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:24 pm

You're going to end up in a good location - close to the Columbia river which has everything you could want to fish for - salmon, white fish, trout, bass walleye and the occasional sturgeon.

Then just a short drive east are Potholes and Moses Lakes. Potholes has some very nice trout in it as well as tons of walleye and bass and perch. Ive never fished Moses but it has a great reputation as well. A little further east are Banks Lake, Lake Roosevelt and about 1000 others that have lots of choices.

Then going west there are a number of lakes up in the mountains that have nice trout, burbot and land locked salmon. A little longer drive east is the Puget Sound (and bunches of additional lakes) where you can catch salmon, halibut, ling cod, rock bass, crab, shrimp etc.

A lot depends on if you have a boat. A boat opens up a lot more opportunities.

Id suggest you check out a map then look in the Lakes section on this site and check out the fishing reports.

Unfortunately, Im not the guy to hook up with to go fishing as I have a relatively small boat and two relatively huge brothers (I wont mention my size) so our boat just doesnt have room for anyone bigger than my grand daughter to fish with us.

Welcome to Washington state and good luck on your fishing!!

CincyMatt
Petty Officer

Post by CincyMatt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks so much for all the great info. I am so excited to move out there. I never want to look at a catfish, or bass again haha. I do want to get a boat eventually, and that will help. I look forward to gaining knowledge, and hopefully catching some fish!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 am

Better watch it with that no bass trash talking thing! Some folks around here take their bass fishin seriously! ;)

CincyMatt
Petty Officer

Post by CincyMatt » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:11 am

haha I bet. I just am really looking forward to Salmon and Trout!

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Washington State Newbie (Fishing Buddys)

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:14 am

Welcome to Washington state Cinci Matt. Although we're north of Ellensburg, usually fishing and crabbing the North Sound 8-2 area and fresh water lakes, we plan on doing our fair share of fishing along the I-5 corridor on down to the Columbia and into Oregon, possibly Alaska. We have a fledgling camper van and small motorhome group with trips that will include Baker Lake sockeye fishing and camping at their resort. Members here are also welcome to join us. (((((Fish On))))) =D>
Bobber_Dogger

Crappieyoda
Angler

Post by Crappieyoda » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:04 am

Hey there trout fishing is pretty good I am in Yakima let me know I have a 12 foot boat and some great places to fish

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:58 am

Check your PM box, Matt.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:07 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Check your PM box, Matt.
He last visited Jan. 26th.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:09 pm

Maybe he is still getting his new place in order. :-k
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:46 pm

hahaha... I usually look at that stat, thanks for the tip.