Your military service...

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Flying Over Fuji

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Cool story indeed. Thanks for sharing!

30 years later, I stood on the top of Fuji-san after an all night climb. Local lore had it that anyone who visited Japan and didn't witness the sun rise from the summit was destined to return. I climbed and watched the sunrise, not because I didn't want to come back, rather because it was something I wanted to do. I had a great time in my 3 1/2 years there.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Flying Over Fuji

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 am

Great article!
You and I have something in common with our military service. I also worked on aircraft (B-52's) while I was in. There is a great deal of satisfaction and pride when the aircraft and especially the crew returns from a safe and fully operational flight. I remember telling myself, there is no such thing as "Close enough for government work" when working on the aircraft. After all, the crew is putting their lives in your hands and putting full trust in your ability to safely maintain the aircraft. You have a right to be proud of what you accomplished Bob. :salut:

bob johansen
Commander

Re: Your military service...

Post by bob johansen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 am

We have even more in common Marc - after leaving the service I went work at the Boeing Company and my first job was in production making B-52 wings. Because of my experience on live aircraft in the Navy, I applied for and got a very nice raise in pay and went to work on B-52s on the flight line. Maybe you worked on some of the same planes that I did at the Boeing Company. I tip my hat to you.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:48 am

Hewesfisher - What a great climb! Were you in the military while in Japan"

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 am

Bob Johansen wrote:We have even more in common Marc - after leaving the service I went work at the Boeing Company and my first job was in production making B-52 wings. Because of my experience on live aircraft in the Navy, I applied for and got a very nice raise in pay and went to work on B-52s on the flight line. Maybe you worked on some of the same planes that I did at the Boeing Company. I tip my hat to you.
If you assembled the G models, I did. While I was stationed on Guam in the summer of '72, I worked on all the G models stationed there. All G models in the fleet were assigned to Anderson during Bullet Shot. Today, all of them are in the Bone Yard, with only the H models still in service. It is a real tribute to Boeing that the Buff is still in service after 50+ years. Without a doubt, the finest aircraft that they every built. The Air Force has plans on keeping them in service until 2025. 75 years....amazing.

When I was discharged in '74, I wanted to go work for Boeing. My hopes were dashed when they had the largest layoff in the company's history. I remember seeing billboard signs in the Seattle area that read, "The last one out, please turn out the lights". [sad]

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Bob Johansen wrote:Hewesfisher - What a great climb! Were you in the military while in Japan"
Sure was, that's how we got there in the first place. Stationed at Yokota AB from 9/79 - 4/83 and loved the experience. Retired from the USAF in '95. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Signed up for the U.S. Army 14Feb84. Took my ASVAB that day and shipped off to Ft.Sill Ok. Did Basic Training there and my A.I.T. there too. Became an 82 Charley. Field Artillery Surveyor. Stationed at Ft.Lewis from 84-87.Target Acquisition Battalion. Basically gave fire direction to the Howitzers and to a Tank Brigade at Ft.Lewis. Then learned the P.A.D.S system a mobile azimuth gryo. And also spent a hell of a lot of time supporting the Radar unit. Spent what seemed to be my entire 2 .5 years out in the field. At YFC..Made it to SP4 promotable. Never got to PLDC. Got out of the service early in 1987 due to the Reagan budget cuts. And saw my whole battalion on t.v getting ready to hit Kuwait (Desert Storm). Missed out of that by 3 years. Whoowah!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 am

Im finally in the Navy!!! I'm doing draperies on the USS Nimmitz and USS Roosevelt. I am doing the big meeting rooms on both ships. I thought the Roosevelt was big. WOW the Nimmitz is more then huge. Very cool ships. The Roosevelt is now in Virginia. I believe the Nimmitz is in Everett. I hope I get a chance to go back on board. Its just unreal the size of the ship. Im still in shock. Go Navy!!! Im not really in the Navy either. :-"

sbkcrew44
Angler

Post by sbkcrew44 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:24 am

I am an active duty Marine, I joined in January of 2008. I enlisted under Avionics, and somehow ended up with the MOS of 6694, Aviation Logistics Information Management and Support(ALIMS). We provide the S-6 functions for the squadron, I work on the network, maintain a few servers, and provide a help desk function for all computer, phone, and perephial devices.

I am on my second deployment to Afghanistan right now, my first one was to Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan with MALS-16, we provided support to all of the Marine Corps flying squadrons forward deployed, in the Helmand Province, and right now I am deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan with VMGR-352, we fly KC-130J's. We mainly provide aerial refueling, cargo transportation, battlefield illuminations, and we have a new toy called Harvest Hawk, if you google it, you can see it is the Marine Corps only C-130 with a roll on weapons kit to provide close air support, and overwatch.

I will be getting out in January of 2013, and I will be going back home to Seabeck(just outside of Bremerton). Most of my experience has been with Bass fishing and Trout, but now I am planning on getting a boat, and getting into salmon fishing, as well as keeping up with freshwater. When I do get out, I am going to make a road trip from San Diego to Washington, camping and fishing some of the lakes on the way up. If anyone has some suggestions for great stops near I-5 for fishing, feel free to PM me, and I will look into it. Thanks for everyone, and I enjoy the site a ton, even if this is my first post.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:19 am

Welcome to the site and Thank you for your service to our Great Country. Im sure soon enough you will have many suggestions on where to stop. Too bad they dont make a multi state fishing licence for servicemen and women so they can fish in their travels. Good luck and my God be with you. We used to bottom fish in Seabeck some time ago.

GreenRanger
Angler

Post by GreenRanger » Sun May 27, 2012 4:25 am

I was 17 when I went into the Army, April of 2002. I didn't have a choice in joining. My dad was a Marine at the time. He retired in 2006 at the rank of Colonel. My dad told me I was going to go in and do my 4yrs and he brought me to the recruitors office. My MOS was 91F or Small Arms Repair. Then after boot camp, I went onto Sniper and after AIT, Ranger School. After Ranger School I got assigned to the 2nd Ranger Battalion and i was stationed at Fort Lewis. Ive been to Iraq, Afghanistan and a few other places. Im 27 now and am out of the Army. I also had a crew i was in charge of, I loved being the leader. After getting out of the Army, I went straight into the Navy and became a Gunners Mate.

Eric24
Angler

Post by Eric24 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Joined the Army in 1990, still going and after 23 years as an 11B, I can't think of anything else I would want to do. Spent most of my time in the 82nd and 101st ( Rakkasans )!!! Currently teaching ROTC at UW and thinking about retiring soon.

Best thing is, my wife retired after 22 1/2 years as a 1SG as well!!

Go Army!

Eric

Dayglowspoon
Angler

Post by Dayglowspoon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:00 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here.
Joined the Army in 2002, Combat Engineer. Did eight years, deployments, the whole nine yards.
Started fishing after the VA doc told me to find a hobby. Looks like I picked a good one.
Love swapping war stories and fishing tales.
Fishing fights PTSD, spread the word. [thumbsup]

ImMrBill
Angler

Post by ImMrBill » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:45 pm

US Navy Vietnam Vet
USS Vulcan AR-5 69-71
USS Butte AE-27 72-73

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:31 am

Dayglowspoon wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster here.
Joined the Army in 2002, Combat Engineer. Did eight years, deployments, the whole nine yards.
Started fishing after the VA doc told me to find a hobby. Looks like I picked a good one.
Love swapping war stories and fishing tales.
Fishing fights PTSD, spread the word. [thumbsup]
Fishign does help with PTSD and is just a great "hobby" for the mind and soul. I don't always catch a fish but, man, how luck we are to do what we do in the PNW!
:salut:

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 am

Navy Corpsman from 86-06 (FMF/SW/PJ)
1st Marine Division
1st FSSG
3rd Mar Division
HM School Instructor
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth and San Diego

I had an abosolute blast and would love to do it again!!

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 am

sealegs wrote:Navy Corpsman from 86-06 (FMF/SW/PJ)
1st Marine Division
1st FSSG
3rd Mar Division
HM School Instructor
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth and San Diego

I had an abosolute blast and would love to do it again!!
OORAH Devil Doc!

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:42 am

Yut Devil Dog!!

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:49 am

United States Marine Corps 2002-2010
Small Arms Repairman (MOS 2111 Armorer)