Charcoal grill recommendations?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Charcoal grill recommendations?

Post by The Quadfather » Sat May 10, 2014 7:34 pm

I am moving on from my Weber gas grill of 20 years, and want to go back to a charcoal grill.
I am looking at the Weber 23" Premiere.

Does anyone have a particular charcoal style grill that they really like? The Premier has a nifty clean out mechanism, and a good size area for condiments/plates, etc.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Charcoal grill recommendations?

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 11, 2014 7:27 am

I use both, gas and charcoal. Gas at home and Charcoal at the beach house. At the beach house I got nothing but time so futsing around with the fire and stuff is no big deal and you do get the charcoal flavor. That being said, I don't always want the charcoal flavor.
Back to the original question, Weber original kettle, what ever the model is. The main part has gone over twenty years, I've replaced the grills (both of them) a couple times. Great bang for the buck.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Sun May 11, 2014 8:47 am

If money is no object, Big Green Egg. Some decent deals on CL sometimes.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 11, 2014 9:11 am

PS quad, I like that ash disposal system. It's my one dislike of using charcoal is getting rid of the ashes. At home I have an infrared grill, never look back! Temp goes from about 180 to about 650, it's a never burn system.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Tue May 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Weber Smokey Joe Silver… Can grill a whole chicken spatchcocked or a half-side of salmon. Economical use of charcoal. Quality build. Under $30.

I like to keep it simple.

BTW, if you're going charcoal, invest in a chimney starter.