Garage Saling/buying used fishing tackle

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Garage Saling/buying used fishing tackle

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:47 pm

I may have found a new addiction. I found a second hand store today with a section dedicated to fishing. It was in a 4 foot by 12 foot cubicle in the store, but I swear I spent at least an hour going through thousands of lures, rigs, rods, and reels. I've been needing to rebuild my tacklebox after mine, along with hundreds of dollars of equipment, and our old 14 foot fiberglass boat was stolen from my front yard when I was about 16 years old, and I've been looking for a budget-friendly way to do so, since my only income right now is state disability.

Are there any suggestions you have for finding budget-friendly gear? Other then checking the clearance section of online shops like dicks and cabelas of course.

spokey9
Captain

Re: Garage Saling/buying used fishing tackle

Post by spokey9 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm

I stop at every garage sale I pass that I see fishing gear lol. I find a lot of good stuff over the course of the year like that for cheap. Other places I hit are pawn shops (some sell tackle by the piece instead of a whole box full), discount t bins in sporting goods stores can be good for getting vibraxes, buzz bombs and the like. Occasionally I find some lures at thrift stores but that a fairly rare occasion in my experience. I started tying my own jigs a few years ago because of the cost of pretied ones in the store and I'm starting to experiment with making my own spinners now too. Also don't be afraid to haggle with people on Craigslist, I've talked a few down on full tackle boxes.

Hope that helps some, but there's no real secrets for finding cheap fishing gear anymore lol. Just gotta take advantage of what ya see in the price range you're comfortable with these days.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 pm

If you ever see or hear of a jaded wife/ex-wife garage sale, run, don't walk. They are the unicorns of garage sales. I have seen one that included a small boat that she just wanted "gone". Craigslist will occasionally have such deals as well, but they are really hard to catch fast enough. You can set up "alerts" with craigslist with search parameters that will be sent to you as soon as something new is posted. Terms like "rod" "pole" "reel" "fishing" and "tackle" are pretty broad but give good results. You can set a maximum price in your search as well.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Excellent advice, thanks guys! I never would have thought to check pawn shops, that gives me a new place to look! I also didn't know craigslist did alertsl ike that, definitely going to set some up.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:25 am

Almost forgot about the bargain cave at the Cabela's stores. You can find some good deals there too occasionally and if ya see something there that's been in the cave awhile don't hesitate to ask if they can knock the price down. I've gotten one of their cleaning tables for $15 by asking for a discount lol. And after Christmas I got one of their tourney trail 10ft 10-20lb spinning rods dropped to $20 because it had been there awhile.

The rest of the prices are borderline horrible but that cove can be good at times.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:48 am

I have a handful of what you call 'Antique Malls' that I regularly check. This is the kind of place where many different vendors
have a booth set up with different items. Often times these people have fishing gear. A lot of junk, yes, but sometimes some cool stuff. There is such a place Cle Elum, which has many great old salmon plugs, and bass lures.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:05 am

Yeah, that was the style of the shop I went to as well. This one was in Port Orchard. Now that I know about these I'm going to start searching for them! Between my Lucky Tacklebox subscription and local antique malls I should be able to bulster my fishing supplies quicker!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:37 am

Juniah87 wrote:Yeah, that was the style of the shop I went to as well. This one was in Port Orchard. Now that I know about these I'm going to start searching for them! Between my Lucky Tacklebox subscription and local antique malls I should be able to bulster my fishing supplies quicker!
There is a large one located up near the Costco in Shoreline.
When you come up 104 from the Ferry, look for Cambell Nelson Volkswagen.
Behind tjat is Burlington Coat Factory.. above Burlington Coat, is a huge antique mall.