Spring is here, Summer is coming

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Spring is here, Summer is coming

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:44 pm

It's getting light earlier and earlier.Image

Look at the time for this picture;
Attachments
Sawyer at 1200am April 26, 2017.jpg
Tom.

Interests: living

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Re: Spring is here, Summer is coming

Post by Juniah87 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Someone should tell the weather, I sure could use some freaking sunshine and temperatures above 55 [cursing] [laugh]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Suppose to get to 69 on Wed. next week. But of course, it'll change over the next 6 days, so goodby 69, before it even gets here.
Tom.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:24 pm

I just need to get a job in southern California, that will solve all of my problems [laugh]

Or get a winning megamillions ticket. That would work too [woot]

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 am

12:00AM... twilight zone?? hahaha
The only bad thing about the sun coming up earlier is me getting up earlier on weekends to fish. I wake up earlier to fish then I do for work, but somehow its so much easier to wake up when your going fishing than to work... hahahah. Ill be up around 4:45AM tomorrow to go look for bass up north!
Just wait till spring chinook (if it opens...). I try to fish an hour or so on the Sky before being at work by 7AM.. that's always fun!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:07 am

Yup, to go to work I used to get up at 5am. Now I get up at 3am, 3 to 7 days a week to go fishing. Image
Tom.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 am

fisherman92 wrote:12:00AM... twilight zone?? hahaha
The only bad thing about the sun coming up earlier is me getting up earlier on weekends to fish. I wake up earlier to fish then I do for work, but somehow its so much easier to wake up when your going fishing than to work... hahahah. Ill be up around 4:45AM tomorrow to go look for bass up north!
Just wait till spring chinook (if it opens...). I try to fish an hour or so on the Sky before being at work by 7AM.. that's always fun!
Where you headed?? Had a 3 pounder at Whatcom

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 am

branweeds wrote:
fisherman92 wrote:12:00AM... twilight zone?? hahaha
Where you headed?? Had a 3 pounder at Whatcom

Was it a smallmouth? I have yet to get a smallie this year. I haven't really targeted them though. And my buddy and I are bringing our pontoons to Terrell tomorrow.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:51 am

Heck yeah! Just had an awesome day on my new pontoon at Padden. And yeah a smallmouth, that is what I enjoy going after most of the time.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Right on. Yeah Terrell is one of the larger lakes I've taken my pontoon on so far in the last year or two. I mostly fish smaller lakes with it. And my buddy's bass boat cant go on Whatcom unfortunately since its a 2 stoke. But ill have to give it a try one of these days. I need to try Goodwin too since my 14' Lund resides there. Also never fished Lake Stevens in my life even though I have a house across the Highway from it.... hahah. I think my first time fishing smallmouth will be the Columbia in 3 weeks. you still going the week after?

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:27 pm

I grew up in the Lake Stevens area but the only time I fished it was from the public dock, just caught a handful of yellow perch. I never was a fan of big lakes, I enjoy the smaller lakes. Usually less people, no skiers/jetskiers, more concentrated fish. They may be smaller in size but usually much more of them per acre than any of the big lakes! When I was in Lake Stevens we used to bring a fish or two home alive with us in our livewell, and put them in our little half acre pond that was in the back of our house. One year they all started spawning, and we had an incredible fishery literally in our backyard! I built a dock from scratch, and raised the outflow tube to make it a litte bigger, and used it to learn how to cast a flyrod, and practice new lures. Then one day one of our neighbors parked a beat up leaky pickup truck in their yard, which drained chemicals into our pond and killed everything in it. From the frogs and tadpoles to the fish. Made me so mad! We had a handful of rainbow trout, some 12-20 inch largemouth, 4 or 5 2 pound catfish, and a handfull of bluegill. Used to buy fish feed from the co-op to keep them fed, although there were actively breeding bullfrogs and many insects that probably would have kept them plenty full, but hey, why not grow massive fish if you can? Those were the days, I miss that place.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm

fisherman92 wrote:Right on. Yeah Terrell is one of the larger lakes I've taken my pontoon on so far in the last year or two. I mostly fish smaller lakes with it. And my buddy's bass boat cant go on Whatcom unfortunately since its a 2 stoke. But ill have to give it a try one of these days. I need to try Goodwin too since my 14' Lund resides there. Also never fished Lake Stevens in my life even though I have a house across the Highway from it.... hahah. I think my first time fishing smallmouth will be the Columbia in 3 weeks. you still going the week after?
Memorial day weekend, the 25th through 28th. We are going to lake Washington on the way down, and then to the Columbia and maybe some nearby bass lakes! Since I have learned to bass fish on Whatcom, most of my experience is on smallies haha. Hopefully Terrell provides for you, I had one friend up there get skunked and another catch quite a few both in the last week. And also on Whatcom, there are some great docklines to cruise in a kayak, or even shore spots to bed fish from. If you ever want some spots on that lake let me know.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Juniah87 wrote:I grew up in the Lake Stevens area but the only time I fished it was from the public dock, just caught a handful of yellow perch. I never was a fan of big lakes, I enjoy the smaller lakes. Usually less people, no skiers/jetskiers, more concentrated fish. They may be smaller in size but usually much more of them per acre than any of the big lakes! When I was in Lake Stevens we used to bring a fish or two home alive with us in our livewell, and put them in our little half acre pond that was in the back of our house. One year they all started spawning, and we had an incredible fishery literally in our backyard! I built a dock from scratch, and raised the outflow tube to make it a litte bigger, and used it to learn how to cast a flyrod, and practice new lures. Then one day one of our neighbors parked a beat up leaky pickup truck in their yard, which drained chemicals into our pond and killed everything in it. From the frogs and tadpoles to the fish. Made me so mad! We had a handful of rainbow trout, some 12-20 inch largemouth, 4 or 5 2 pound catfish, and a handfull of bluegill. Used to buy fish feed from the co-op to keep them fed, although there were actively breeding bullfrogs and many insects that probably would have kept them plenty full, but hey, why not grow massive fish if you can? Those were the days, I miss that place.
I have always daydreamed about having a big pond in my backyard. My girlfriend's grandpa used to stock his little pond (maybe 15 yards across) but it is about 20 feet deep. His neighbor has a bigger pond that is connected by a stream too. Anyways, he hasn't seen a fish in there in about 6 years, so I asked if I could throw a spinner. I hooked about four different HUGE old rainbows, with crooked snouts like an old spawned out salmon. I could land a single one, but one I had the chance to almost grab and got a good look at him. I think they were really hard to hook because of the snouts they had. But there is probably only about 10 or so in the pond, because after they bite at the spinner a couple of times their interest in it dies down. He says the eagles sit in his yard and try to look for the fish too.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Was this during the winter? When I started BTC's broodstock program the males would get significantly recessed gumlines close to spawning time, even if they couldn't spawn yet. If they've been in there for 6 years they probably definitely were able to spawn though, unless they were triploids. Ponds like that are why I'm so jealous of places like Texas and Minnesota!