Do used car lots have lower prices outside of Seattle?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Do used car lots have lower prices outside of Seattle?

Post by bkawafishin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I have an old beater 2001 Honda Civic I am looking to trade in for slightly less old beater commuter car.

I seem to be leaning towards bouncing around to some used car lots and after haggling out an agreeable price, leaving them with my car and driving off with one of theirs.

For some reason, I seem to be under the impression the further I get away from Seattle, the prices tend to drop.

Can anyone with experience in these matters verify/clarify that for me? Or am I just holding on to something I heard a long time ago. If it's true, is it relative to how far you are away from the big city? Or are there some known parts of Washington that this holds especially true?

Also, if anyone has any pointers they would like to offer, it would be much appreciated. I've never gone this route before, but I suspect it is pretty similar to the usual ins/outs of burying directly from a name brand dealership.

Thanks!

spokey9
Captain

Re: Do used car lots have lower prices outside of Seattle?

Post by spokey9 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:37 pm

It's not just Seattle. When the wife and I was car shopping (back in early June) we found lower prices by just looking outside king county. Not saying you can't find a killer deal in Seattle or king county but I'd bet your odds are better in Pierce or Snohomish, maybe even Skagit if you're willing to look that far out.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

NorseNW
Petty Officer

Post by NorseNW » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:00 am

Not for sure it's relative but I would think it would be --- when I purchased my boat 7 years ago we drove to Pasco, WA to save $3,000. I'm in Vancouver and closest dealers were Portland area although I did call up to dealers in the Seattle area as well. I even tried to have local dealers meet me in the middle to save me the trip but the most they would do is drop their boats by $200-$300. As Spokey said I would think depending on how far you are willing to drive you may say a larger return on your efforts. Good luck in your search. I don't envy you - I hate the "car game"! But we all eventually have to do it

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:40 am

Utility trailers, boats and cars always seem to be a bit less down in the Centralia / Chehalis area for some reason.

Aberdeen is also an area I have found deals.

Your mileage may vary - the best of luck in your quest.

onmygame

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 am

My last car I bought I drove to Portland OR for the better deal. Ill drive far for good deals when spending thousands. Also found a work truck down past Portland we bought for my company as well. Seattle has higher prices for sure unless you find some deals. Youll get a better deal selling your car yourself also, but man it sure is a pain with all of the flakes and lowballers... haha