Hello, where is everyone?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
wlai
Petty Officer

Hello, where is everyone?

Post by wlai » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:06 am

Sorry if this is off topic; not sure where to post but this subforum seems the most active that I can find.

I've been a member and fan of NWFR (and previously WALake ) for a few years. Was pretty absent last summer due to work, but since the fall I've been back on, and surprised that forum activity seems to have dropped alot. What happened? Where is everyone? It seems particularly noticeable in the forums as I still see fishing reports posted, but nevertheless it's down and the only posts sees to be Roosevelt / Sammamish.

This is/was a great resource and I'd hate to see it decline.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Hello, where is everyone?

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:54 am

a lot of anglers are on various facebook groups. Which is unfortunate as the level of information is nowhere near as in depth and useful IMO. As you noted the reports have not fallen off much. We also now have broadcast TV in the Fox 11.41.28 markets. Doesn't help the west side anglers I know. The TV episodes are available from the top menu bar link.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 am

I think it could be a few reasons. Facebook groups for sure are a factor. I believe the reason for this is the like button. People like to see their picture or report liked and not everyone is going to comment "nice fish bro" or whatever comment can be added. Thats a big part of it i think. Nor can they see how their comment is percieved on the forums.

Instagram is another one again, the like button and the ability to build up your profile with content and gain followers is alluring to some.

Im active on a variety of forums across the continent from fly forums to salt forums insta fb all of it. My favourite, im sorry to say, is a private forum, invite only. It is a closed community of 100 or so very skilled anglers we can share openly with absolutely no concern about having a river ruined by hotspotting for example because we all know each other. We have group fishouts multiple times a year and can function better as a community because of that. Again, there is a like button. So theres that too.

The addition of a like button and advancing individual profiles i think would increase activity tremendously on reports and on forum. Another idea is to have some closed forum groups that people can apply to join and either be accepted or not along with the public forum.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:21 am

Just wait till spring it'll pick up! It's just slow going in the winter. I have seen very little steelhead reports this year which is strange as well, maybe its just a slow winter or everyone is hidi g their success, nothing wrong with that. But I fished so much in the spring, summer, and fall so winter now is more family time for me anyways. I'll be posting reports as soon as i hit the water for trout and bass sometime in april! And I just read Jon's post which has a great explination as well!

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

I believe the posts have decreased for a few reasons;
1) Time of year. Let's face when it's pouring rain and windy doing something else other than fishing seems more attractive - although at times wish I had gone fishing.
2) Salmon season is over and Steelhead has yet to pick up. Although when it does probably won't see much post.
3) Rivers are and for the most part been blown-out so far this Steelhead season.
4) Learning curve. Although lake fishing can handle more publicity rivers on the other hand can't - unless you want more of a crowd. I've already caught 5 Steelhead this season but I'm not willing to give out my info. The area I fish already sees it's share of fisherman but more publicity would surely increase the amount of fisherman and make it tougher for me and my buddies to find areas to fish. Sense it's starting Steelhead season I think more fisherman are being "tight lipped" about their trips (and they should-keep it up).

Why am I on this site? Gotta agree it is interesting to read. But......maybe instead of sharing where to fish share your techniques and leave it up to other fisherman to find where to fish. I think that would be just as interesting to read.

jonb - I envy you for belonging to a private fishing forum - keep it up.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am

It's winter. Slow in winter. And yes this belongs in the 'off topic' forum. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 pm

Yeah i agree about winter too. Alot of people aren't into the 30°-40° and raining. That definately acounts for the seasonal slow down. I on the other hand love tye cold wet weather. Lol

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:26 pm

I use to - - - when I was dog sledding. But not so anymore. lol
Tom.

Interests: living

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Ya, quiet time of the year for sure. I 'un-pickled' the boat once this winter and then put it right back. I know I sure didn't feel like getting out in the weather like usual. Not sure why.
Soon. Soon.

TMBob
Petty Officer

Post by TMBob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:58 pm

January was great for me....8 fishing days and 72 Trout and 1 Bluegill....mostly big too! Last year was my first January lake Fishing and it was slow with only 9....the difference being out on the water compared to being on a dock. Also, I have learned from this site and others.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 pm

As noted, there are more than a few reasons. I'll have to check with Aaron but I believe the overall number of reports over the course of the year has remained pretty steady. The forum without a doubt has declined and I definitely believe that has to do with social media growth because I see it across the board on other forums that used to be active go to spots and are now also very slow.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 pm

Wlai,
I can’t resist commenting on your observation of lack of forum activity. I have been on here since around 2000, maybe even a little earlier. I recall your ‘Wlai’ from awhile back as well.
Now, I remember... you hooked me up with some nice C-gars! Awhile back, in trade for some Lake Cle Elum info. Ha!

While many will just say it is the ‘Off-season’ for fishing, and fishing conversation in the forums. This loss the forum community is something I have lamented greatly over the past 3-4 years. It’s obvious that many people like the quick 3 sentence statements that can be done on social media, but I truly am bummed out about the loss of in-depth dialogues about all sorts of subjects within the forum.
It really is not primarily a matter of the winter season. This past summer there were many days where the ‘Active topic’ page sat for 2-3 days, with barely any activities. There are hardly any of what I once called the regulars on here.—- I have not watched TV since the 90’s, this is because I spent all my damn evenings chatting about fishing, LOL.. (OK, a few other hobbies)
Life does not stand still, things change.
There is plenty of good still here, but I truly miss long running dialogues on various topics.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:06 am

Quad, I agree. IMO Social Media sites have some very negative aspects that have changed the way people interact. Loss of civil discussion, decline of validated debate, reducing attention spans and critical thinking, creating a culture of narcissism. I wonder if Zuckerberg envisioned all aspects of Facebook when it started.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:42 am

#Likebutton for president 2018 make NWFR great again. [thumbsup] [flapper]

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:05 am

Quad, Mike

I totally agree with both of your thoughts. I really do enjoy reading info on sites like this one. But....I think with some of our fisheries decreasing fishermen may be re-thinking posting their experiences especially if it was successful.

In a posting a while back I posted a response that all fisherman should not sell out their fishing places and techniques. Since then I've re-thought my position and although I still believe not to give your area info but instead give some good info about your successful techniques. I'm an advocate to helping other fisherman have more success when exploring areas with proven techniques. But again my believe is exploring waters (without knowing) is a big part of a fishing experience.

I would like to put a thought out there for everyone interested to think about.

How about parts of the forum where discussion is only about techniques, water temp, weather, type of fishing, etc. I know posting such as this can now be posted but what I have seen usually someone bashes the person giving the info because of the lack of a given area info. If we had a place to post above info with the expectation that the area info is not expected than more fisherman may want to participate. Sure we have the "secret spot" but the name in it self sounds bad.
Instead as a possibility maybe have titles such as "Trout techs, Steelhead techs, Salmon techs" and so on with a restriction of not giving an area info. Again one could easily say that you can already post this info - and you can - but many don't I think because they don't want to share the area info and others expect that which leads to bashing the fisherman.

Just some thoughts to help keep this site alive.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:10 am

If readers could rest assured knowing non contributing lurkers can't access information people (like myself) would be way more likely to share. So a private group, a seperate registration and entry with requirements such as X number of posts or reports required to join. Dont get rid of the public forum. Just ad a seperate section for private discussion for registered forum members that have proven that they contribute, are local etc etc. Place rules in the forums that coincide with that particular group for example: on a private river sub forum a rule might people are required to show respect to fellow members and discuss in a civil manner or risk being banned from the private section (still can access the public section though) etc etc. This will make the posters that contribute here alot a nice place to converse with anglers they know or at least have known through the site or that coupd be direcrly addressed in a controlled community of like minded anglers.

Also we need a like button lol

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:35 pm

jonb wrote:If readers could rest assured knowing non contributing lurkers can't access information people (like myself) would be way more likely to share. So a private group, a seperate registration and entry with requirements such as X number of posts or reports required to join. Dont get rid of the public forum. Just ad a seperate section for private discussion for registered forum members that have proven that they contribute, are local etc etc. Place rules in the forums that coincide with that particular group for example: on a private river sub forum a rule might people are required to show respect to fellow members and discuss in a civil manner or risk being banned from the private section (still can access the public section though) etc etc. This will make the posters that contribute here alot a nice place to converse with anglers they know or at least have known through the site or that coupd be direcrly addressed in a controlled community of like minded anglers. Also we need a like button lol
A private section is a great idea. I can attest that I would share a lot more knowing that if I comment where I caught a steelie last weekend, it wouldn’t be accessible to anyone using google. That being said this forum is awesome and it’s helped me out a lot too.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:53 pm

jonb wrote:If readers could rest assured knowing non contributing lurkers can't access information people (like myself) would be way more likely to share. So a private group, a seperate registration and entry with requirements such as X number of posts or reports required to join. Dont get rid of the public forum. Just ad a seperate section for private discussion for registered forum members that have proven that they contribute, are local etc etc. Place rules in the forums that coincide with that particular group for example: on a private river sub forum a rule might people are required to show respect to fellow members and discuss in a civil manner or risk being banned from the private section (still can access the public section though) etc etc. This will make the posters that contribute here alot a nice place to converse with anglers they know or at least have known through the site or that coupd be direcrly addressed in a controlled community of like minded anglers.

Also we need a like button lol

I like it, and agreed.... if there was a ‘Like’ button, I’d thump it. [thumbup]

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks guys.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:52 pm

I'll ask Aaron about the "like" button and also the ability to create private forums. Thanks for the suggestions!